s.m.a.r.t. & Silicon Image IDE Controller

Hi there!

I bought an IDE controller with Silicon Image chip on it:
U-DMA133 RAID Controller SiliconImage-0680 0/1/0+1

Whenever I try to use a s.m.a.r.t. program like Speedfan or any other
accessing the "smart" features, I get a bluescreen in windows xp with
"machine check exception". I already installed the latest drivers from
silicon image which are some years old

1.0.0.12 1/24/2005 113 KB Description
SiI0680/0680A 32-bit Windows IDE Driver

It would seem they are fresh from 2005, but inside the file you find
outdated drivers from 2002 ! Is there any fixed driver somewhere for
this IDE controller or do I have to buy a new one?

cheers

Karsten

Previously Karsten Schell <efbiei@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi there!

> I bought an IDE controller with Silicon Image chip on it:
> U-DMA133 RAID Controller SiliconImage-0680 0/1/0+1

> Whenever I try to use a s.m.a.r.t. program like Speedfan or any other
> accessing the "smart" features, I get a bluescreen in windows xp with
> "machine check exception". I already installed the latest drivers from
> silicon image which are some years old

> 1.0.0.12 1/24/2005 113 KB Description
> SiI0680/0680A 32-bit Windows IDE Driver

> It would seem they are fresh from 2005, but inside the file you find
> outdated drivers from 2002 ! Is there any fixed driver somewhere for
> this IDE controller or do I have to buy a new one?

Better buy a really old one where the drivers work....

Arno

On 9 Aug 2005 15:17:47 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>Better buy a really old one where the drivers work....

Like from promise ? Is Silicon Image generally such trash? Their
support seems also not existent.

Karsten

"Karsten Schell" wrote:
> Is Silicon Image generally such trash? Their
> support seems also not existent.

I have always been able to speak to a knowlegdeable
support technician at Silicon Image who was sitting at a
desk in Silicon Valley. You have to pay for the long distance
call, though, and you have to go to the website to get SIIG's
corporate telephone no. and then copy down the support
no. that they give when you call. IOW, they weed out the lazy
people who will just waste their time. If you present an
"interesting" engineering question, the tech will even give
you his direct phone no. for future calls on the subject.

*TimDaniels*

Previously Karsten Schell <efbiei@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 9 Aug 2005 15:17:47 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>>Better buy a really old one where the drivers work....

> Like from promise ? Is Silicon Image generally such trash? Their
> support seems also not existent.

Well, Promise is not so great either, but the (non-S, non-RAID) ATA
controllers have not been changed in a long time and therefore
the drivers can work around the limitations of the controllers.
At least that is my observatiuon under Linux.

I had also a lot of problems (disks becoming disconnected)
with onboard Highpoint HPT374 controllers and have stopped
using them. I have several PCs running stable with
Promise 100TX2 and 133TX2 under Linux.

Arno

On 10 Aug 2005 15:29:29 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>Well, Promise is not so great either, but the (non-S, non-RAID) ATA
>controllers have not been changed in a long time and therefore
>the drivers can work around the limitations of the controllers.
>At least that is my observatiuon under Linux.

Linux is not used by me as a workstation, only on servers, I only need
a plainIDE Controller for 2 harddisks without raid functions in xp. Do
you know any ? What I can buy locally is Highpoint, Silicon Image(oh
no), promise, Adaptec

>I had also a lot of problems (disks becoming disconnected)
>with onboard Highpoint HPT374 controllers and have stopped
>using them. I have several PCs running stable with
>Promise 100TX2 and 133TX2 under Linux.

They are recommendable?

Karsten

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:26:01 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
<TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

> Have you given SIIG enough details of your
>difficulty such that they could duplicate it, or have you been
>approaching them with the same bellicosity that your exhibit
>here?

=:) No, I asked quite friendly & technically why S.M.A.R.T does not
function. I did neither get an answer nor any question about more
details. I really would like to solve this issue if they would show
some activity on their side.
As I said I used the email adress, not the phone. Perhaps I'll try
that. What annoys me is that it not only does not support S.M.A.R.T ,
but crashes the whole running system when trying to use any S.M.A.R.T.
monitoring tool. That should interest them ?!

Karsten

"Karsten Schell" replied:
> I asked quite friendly & technically why S.M.A.R.T does not
> function. I did neither get an answer nor any question about
> more details. I really would like to solve this issue if they
> would show some activity on their side.

It's quite possible that they didn't know and didn't want
to reply with such a lame answer, and not wanting to
burden the engineering staff with the question, they
didn't reply at all. I imagine getting out products that
meet required specs takes precedence over making
existing (already designed and marketed) products
meet un-required specs. Think of the man-hours and
expense of developing a new version of the BIOS,
testing and announcing and distributing it, for compat-
ibility with a monitoring utility that most of their customers
never heard of. For instance, my Dell Dimension
(made in 1999) has a motherboard BIOS that has
never heard of S.M.A.R.T., and I haven't seen a whole
lot of postings in the Dell NG that bemoan that fact.

> As I said I used the email adress, not the phone. Perhaps
> I'll try that. What annoys me is that it not only does not
> support S.M.A.R.T., but crashes the whole running system
> when trying to use any S.M.A.R.T. monitoring tool. That
> should interest them ?!

If you can afford the phone call(s), that's the best way.
(Expect to hear Taiwanese accents of varying degrees.)
The tech who answers the phone (there might only be one)
knows more than the average tech support guy and he
seems to have been involved in testing as well as using the
products, and he has good communication with the engin-
eers if he needs to ask them a question. Sometimes it
requires a 24-hour wait, though. I've found that they are
interested in hearing system and circumstantial details if
the information is extensive enough to expand their own
knowledge of their products' real world behavior. That is,
if you can become a colleague and more than just a
frustrated customer, you'll find them to be very cooperative.

*TimDaniels*

Previously Karsten Schell <efbiei@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 10 Aug 2005 15:29:29 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>>Well, Promise is not so great either, but the (non-S, non-RAID) ATA
>>controllers have not been changed in a long time and therefore
>>the drivers can work around the limitations of the controllers.
>>At least that is my observatiuon under Linux.

> Linux is not used by me as a workstation, only on servers, I only need
> a plainIDE Controller for 2 harddisks without raid functions in xp. Do
> you know any ? What I can buy locally is Highpoint, Silicon Image(oh
> no), promise, Adaptec

Sorry, I don't use any IDE controller (except the mainboard
integrated) under XP.

>>I had also a lot of problems (disks becoming disconnected)
>>with onboard Highpoint HPT374 controllers and have stopped
>>using them. I have several PCs running stable with
>>Promise 100TX2 and 133TX2 under Linux.

> They are recommendable?

See above. Linux: Fine today, XP: no idea.

Arno

"John Turco" wrote:
> Hello, Tim:
>
> I believe that you're a bit confused, here. SIIG <http://www.siig.com> is
> a manufacturer of IDE controller cards (among other computer/electronic
> products), whereas Silicon Image <http://www.siimage.com> makes
> semiconductors, including chipsets.
>
> The companies' contact information, taken from their respective Web sites:
>
> SIIG Inc., General Business -
>
> 6078 Stewart Avenue
> Fremont, CA 94538-3152
> Business Hours: M-F 8:00AM-5:00PM PT
>
> ----
>
> Silicon Image, Corporate Headquarters -
>
> 1060 East Arques Ave.
> Sunnyvale, CA 94085
> Phone: (408) 616-4000
> Fax: (408) 830-9530
>
> Any questions? ;-)

Well, right you are! I confused SIIG (Suntek Information
International Group), maker of (among other things), IDE
controller cards - http://siig.com/productList.asp?catid=4 -
with Silicon Image, maker of (among other things) IDE
controller cards -
http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?id=31&ptid=1

Note that the above web page, which describes the SiI 0680A
PCI-to-ATA Host controller card, says:

"Important Support Note: Silicon Image does not offer support
for end users of board-level products."

Sorry, Karsten.

*TimDaniels*

"Timothy Daniels" wrote:
> .... Silicon Image, maker of (among other things) IDE
> controller cards -
> http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?id=31&ptid=1
>
> Note that the above web page, which describes the SiI 0680A
> PCI-to-ATA Host controller card, says:
>
> "Important Support Note: Silicon Image does not offer support
> for end users of board-level products."
>
> Sorry, Karsten.

Correction: The SiI 0680A is a controller-on-a-CHIP, not a card.
And in reviewing the thread, there does seem to be some confusion
between SiI and SIIG by others, as well.

*TimDaniels*

Timothy Daniels wrote:

> "John Turco" wrote:
> > Hello, Tim:
> >
> > I believe that you're a bit confused, here. SIIG <http://www.siig.com> is
> > a manufacturer of IDE controller cards (among other computer/electronic
> > products), whereas Silicon Image <http://www.siimage.com> makes
> > semiconductors, including chipsets.
> >
> > The companies' contact information, taken from their respective Web sites:
> >
> > SIIG Inc., General Business -
> >
> > 6078 Stewart Avenue
> > Fremont, CA 94538-3152
> > Business Hours: M-F 8:00AM-5:00PM PT
> >
> > ----
> >
> > Silicon Image, Corporate Headquarters -
> >
> > 1060 East Arques Ave.
> > Sunnyvale, CA 94085
> > Phone: (408) 616-4000
> > Fax: (408) 830-9530
> >
> > Any questions? ;-)
>
> Well, right you are! I confused SIIG (Suntek Information
> International Group), maker of (among other things), IDE
> controller cards - http://siig.com/productList.asp?catid=4 -
> with Silicon Image, maker of (among other things) IDE
> controller cards -
> http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?id=31&ptid=1
>
> Note that the above web page, which describes the SiI 0680A
> PCI-to-ATA Host controller card, says:
>
> "Important Support Note: Silicon Image does not offer support
> for end users of board-level products."
>
> Sorry, Karsten.
>
> *TimDaniels*

Hello, Tim:

Sorry, but, you need to read more carefully. <g> Silicon Image only
supplies the >chips< that are mounted on "IDE controller cards," not
the cards, themselves.

Its support section <http://www.siliconimage.com/support> explains
everything, thusly:

"Silicon Image is committed to providing high quality service and
support to its customers. Our technical support is limited to Silicon
Image’s line of branded chip products. In cases where OEM manufacturers
use Silicon Image chips on their board products, Silicon Image is
unable to support these products and recommends contacting the
manufacturer of the board for support issues."

Further, didn't you notice the image of a black chip, on the top-left
area of the Web page, whose URL you provided? >That< is the "SiI 0680A
Ultra ATA/133 PCI-to-ATA Host Controller." It happens to be the one my
own cheap, generic card contains, in fact.

Any >further< questions, man? :)

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

"John Turco" wrote:
> Any >further< questions, man? :)

Yeah. Did you bother to read my follow-up posting?

*TimDaniels*

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:38:53 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
<TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

> Well, right you are! I confused SIIG (Suntek Information
>International Group), maker of (among other things), IDE
>controller cards - http://siig.com/productList.asp?catid=4 -
>with Silicon Image, maker of (among other things) IDE
>controller cards -
>http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?id=31&ptid=1

>"Important Support Note: Silicon Image does not offer support
> for end users of board-level products."

Well, that explains some of the different experience we had with the
support :) Thanks anyway !
I will find out the OEM manufacturer through the PCI subid, I hope
they exist.

cya

Karsten

Timothy Daniels wrote:

> "John Turco" wrote:
> > Any >further< questions, man? :)
>
> Yeah. Did you bother to read my follow-up posting?
>
> *TimDaniels*

Hello, Tim:

Unfortunately, your follow-up didn't appear on my ISP's (Concentric)
news server, until a number of hours after I'd posted my previous reply.
The server has behaved a little flaky, these past several days,
actually.

Regardless, I apologize if I did anything to embarrass you. (I'd
imagined that Folkert Rienstra was just itching to give you a
cyber-whack, up the side of the head, for your apparent stupidity! <G>)

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

PS: Speaking of the devil, I wonder where ol' Folksy has been,
lately? :-J