"S.M.A.R.T. status bad, backup and replace"

JoeWFox

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Hi everyone.

I recently finished my first computer build and I've run into some issues. I'm getting random freezes and Windows Explorer will crash at random intervals. I reinstalled Windows hoping to fix these issues, but I'm still experiencing them. Eventually, I got this error on startup:

http://i.imgur.com/2HKnOXw.jpg
"S.M.A.R.T. status bad, backup and replace"

I looked this up online and most of the answers suggest that my hard drive is failing. This would really disappoint me, as it's a brand new hard drive and shouldn't already be failing.

I followed the instructions on this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2641432

The first time around, I had "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" checked. As a result, the error check took several hours and eventually got stuck on one file:

http://i.imgur.com/q3NUS1E.jpg
It hung on file 123981 for over 30 minutes, so I eventually just hit restart on my case.

Next time I didn't select "Scan and attempt recovery of bad sectors" so the error check went much faster. Still, it told me that Windows found nothing wrong with the file system:

http://i.imgur.com/imD4YuW.jpg

So I'm lost right now. If the issue isn't with my hard drive, what could it be? I'm still experiencing random freezes/crashes. Windows will randomly take very long to log in or shut down (other times it will seem to be normal). I can't install nVidia GeForce Experience because "an uknown error occured" (I experienced an error when trying to install Bioshock Infinite through Steam "disk write error" and I think this is causing the error with GeForce Experience).

If anyone can please help me I would be so grateful. I'm so disappointed with how my first custom computer build is going so far. I thought I did well until I got to this part.

Here are some specs for reference:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Mobo: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B BRONZE 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer

If you require anymore information let me know! Thanks.

Solution
I am waiting on an RMA from Newegg, of the exact same make and model HDD. Brand new and first installed gave constant comp lock ups. Trying to format gave input/output errors, failure to read sectors and so on.

I still have an older WD Caviar Black 640GB with 64Meg cash ram drive from over 3 years ago that is still working like a champ.

RMA the drive...
I am waiting on an RMA from Newegg, of the exact same make and model HDD. Brand new and first installed gave constant comp lock ups. Trying to format gave input/output errors, failure to read sectors and so on.

I still have an older WD Caviar Black 640GB with 64Meg cash ram drive from over 3 years ago that is still working like a champ.

RMA the drive...

Solution

JoeWFox

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Thanks everyone, I've talked to multiple people and at this point, it seems like a defective drive. Unfortunately I am unable to run CrystalDiskInfo because I can't even log in to my computer now. I'm going to attempt to put an old hard drive in the system and see if that works, I'll report back with updates.

JoeWFox

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
So I installed an old WD Caviar Blue hard drive in my computer and it SEEMS to be running fine now. No random crashing/freezing, although some things do load a little slow for my liking... I'm going to assume that's because it's an older drive right now. I'm going to RMA my new drive and hopefully receive a replacement before my friend gets back from vacation to help me look over my computer.

Thanks for all the help guys! Turns out it was a defective hard drive.

You can set up the comp like you want and update windows and load software that you use. When the black RMA comes back, just clone the Blue to the new black drive. There are plenty of free software apps to clone drives. Most HDD and SSD manufacturers have a version of acronis cloning software free on their web sites. I use a paid for version of acronis true image.

JoeWFox

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

I wish I had done this, it would have saved a lot of time. Instead I just did another installation of Windows and reinstalled everything I had put on my other HDD (luckily it wasn't a lot). The new black drive is working fine so far! Now I'm debating whether or not to invest in a SDD for faster boot times and load times for games...

Thanks a lot for the help everyone!

TRENDING THREADS