[SOLVED] S.M.A.R.T. won't recognize C drive and Error 55

Jun 14, 2020
Hi all! A while back, I installed an update to CrystalDiskInfo after I had placed a new hard disk into my system. After the software was updated, CrystalDiskInfo quit recognizing my C drive, but would only recognize my new E drive. Piriform's Speccy recognizes both and says that both drives are in good health, but I tried a different software that I could run in the background (HDD Health by PanteraSoft) and it, too, fails to recognize my C drive. Speccy continues to recognize it as usual, however.

I've tried rescanning in both CrystalDiskInfo and HDD Health but neither of them want to recognize the C drive. It's not a huge deal for me, as I do run regular backups on an external hard drive, but it frustrates me as I do like to know the health of my drives. I'm paranoid right now, as I'm having an issue where I'm getting Event 55 errors which, I read, has to do with VSS corruption due to hardware changes... that would make sense, since I had to switch between a PS2-based keyboard and a new USB keyboard.

I like Speccy but I've begun to wonder if it's reading things correctly; I suspect it's not good that two separate HDD monitoring programs fail to recognize my C drive.

Does anyone know why this is doing this and if there's anything I can do to fix it? I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium and can provide any system info if needed. I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

PS: I took screenshots of the programs' different displays for reference, here. If any further screenshots are needed, please let me know.

Solution
The SMART data look OK.

GSmartControl has an Error Log tab. That should hopefully tell you if a particular sector triggered an error.

Did you try selecting Function -> Advanced Feature -> Advanced Disk Search in CrystalDiskInfo?
Jun 14, 2020
Update: Now the drive is giving me errors that read "The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable." I can't open any pictures, it tells me they're corrupted. I tried sending something to the bin, it's giving me an Error 0x80070571.

It keeps telling me to run chkdsk but that takes AGES to finish on my PC due to the size of the drive, and I don't want to do it unless I know it'll work. The problem is, I saw many saying that it didn't help them when they had this error.

I saw some say that deleting the VSS shadow copies helped, but I don't know how to do that and I'm not sure if it's safe.

I also tried moving files to my E drive and it doesn't help. I can still open text files, videos, games and the like but I can't save any files to my downloads folder and I can't open pictures.

Please tell me that this drive isn't failing. I can't afford to buy a new one AND a copy of Windows 10. Please help!

Jun 14, 2020
UPDATE 2: I tried running sfc /scannow in an administrator mode cmd, but it gave me a "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation." error. I'm going to try to run it in safe mode and see if that helps any.

Jun 14, 2020
UPDATE 3: I couldn't even boot into safe mode, so I'm running startup repair and crossing my fingers. It's not ideal as it's gonna take ages, but hopefully it does something about this, at least enough so I can get back onto my system. It's saying that it's attempting to fix disk errors and may take over an hour to complete. It's

If anyone has any other suggestions for after this, feel free to suggest them as I'm not sure if this'll fix the issue or not.

Jun 14, 2020
UPDATE 5: SUCCESS! The startup repair seems to have fixed the issue. Booting back into Windows, I noticed I can open pictures again, I'm not getting the error popups and Event Viewer quit reporting the errors. Sorry for wasting everyone's time with reading this but I'll keep this thread open just in case someone else runs into a similar issue.

That being said, I still can't seem to get tools like CrystalDiskInfo to work and it's really weirding me out, because during startup repair, even Windows was saying it's installed on the E drive when I know, for a fact, that it is not. 😖

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020
How is the SATA controller configured in BIOS? Have you selected RAID mode rather than AHCI? (It is possible for a single drive to be configured as a RAID.)

Can you show us the output from Speccy?

Hi, thank you for your response! How can I check that? I bought the PC pre-built but have since changed things up. However, I never had any issues with the hardware until now. I can gladly post any info from Speccy, was there anything in particular that I should post?

Jun 14, 2020
Oh gotcha, I don't have any RAID setup as far as I can tell.

Okay, here are screenshots of the data for both drives. The longer list one is my E drive, a Seagate ST2000DM001-1ER164 and the shorter one is my C drive, a Toshiba DT01ACA200 SCSI.

GSmartControl recognizes both drives, thankfully, and it says that both of them passed the basic health check. It wouldn't let me run the short self-test on my C drive, but it did work on my E drive (completed without error) and at least it recognizes and reads the SMART info on C.

Jun 14, 2020
Awesome, I'm really glad to hear that. Given the age of this C drive (I bought the PC back in 2013 and only started really using it the next year), I can't complain if it craps out on me but I hope that's still a way off as my current financial situation isn't fantastic.

Oh nice, that'll be really helpful if I have future issues with my disks!

Wow, that worked, both disks show up now! I didn't even know that feature existed haha, thanks so much for your help!