s.o.s cant get my 7950 gx2 to work

darth nvidiar

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
i had a msi sli board with amd x2 4200 and a 7950 gx2 , and i moved to gigabyte ga-x38-dq6 and intel Q6600,
before made this upgrade i was told that my gx2 will work fine on the new board cuz its treated as a single card , and i even read a post here that the board dont need to be sli to work . anyway after i installed my new system the gx2 appears not to be functioning in sli as im having half the preformance from my past system . even tho i flashed my bios but its still not gettin gd fps , plz help

What you have been told is correct its basically meant to work on just about anything with a pcie slot, But i have read reports that it has failed to work on some boards that are on Nvidias suported list.
Im assuming that you are using like for like comparisons when you say you have half the performance you used to ?
Are you using the same drivers ? Iwould have stayed with the ones I knew to work for a start.
It seems to me that th eSLI isnt being supported as you say half performance which would point to driver problems.
Mactronix

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Could always try a bios update on the motherboard. Be warned though it isnt without risks. On a different note, would you say you were happy with the performance of the card? (when it was working properly), only theres been alot of people on the forums recently saying it was a bad card and that dual pcb is a bad idea. cheers.

calinelesbines

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
I may be out of subject but I experienced the same issue in the past with my 7950gx2.
The problem was on my mobo (Asus A8N32-Sli Deluxe). In the help book they say that even if this (the Asus board) does support 2 * PCIe16X when SLI, you have to use the blue one (or the black I did not remember) when you have a single-slot dual card (not sli). They even say that board (the ASUS) does not support quad-sli (2 slots of 2-single card) because it's an Nforce4 only.

I do not know your mobo but mayba it's only the right 'color' slot PCI you need to check. I may be out here but that happen to my...My advice check in your booklet documentation.

Yoosty

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007

Hmmm, wonders why my Quad SLi works in the Asus A8N32-Sli Deluxe and I am using the latest Bios. :whistle: