Bear_San

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I bought a Geforce 7800 GT, an XFX model, some time back in November. I've been pondering the idea of connecting my Playstation 2 to my computer through S-Video, but I dont know how to view the input from the console. I've connected it properly, but the manual gives me no direction of any sort for this kind of thing. I've never really dabbled at all in the HTPC stuff, so I don't really know if I need extra software or what.

And suggestions?

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
It's a shot in the dark since I've never tried, but you might want to check if you need to activate another display in the display properties or something. I can't think of anything else of the top of my head.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
You can't just plug an S-Video signal in, you need some software (like a software TV Tuner) to 'tune' the signal; I'm not sure if this is what you've been trying.

In my experience it hasn't ever worked too good. I had my XBox running through my TV card once but the framerate/picture was pretty crappy.

HoldenMcGroin

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Y'know, I looked all over the internet about the card. Nowhere does it say that it has video capturing qualities. In fact, the S-Video port on the card says: TV out. There is no S-Video in, except on a TV set. You have a nice card, bro, and you get major jealousy points for that one.....but I think you have the wrong idea since this card appears to be for output only.

Please let me know if there's something I'm missing.

ikaz

Distinguished
Not having looked at the card (or rather looking up the specs) I doubt your card has capture inputs and even if it did there would be no reason other then to do video capture to plug a console in your PC. If you think the picture will be clearer on a monitor it would be better to look for a stand alone product that would convert/pass the signal on to a PC monitor I know the old DC had such a device and I'm pretty the Ps2 and Xbox has some 3rd party device as well.

the_taker

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I'm new to video input to a computer myself. What about the "VIVO" connectors? I realize his GPU doesn't have this capability, and i don't know what software it would need, but if he had a video card with that type of connector, isn't there a way to input that signal? I've got a Sapphire Radeon 9000 GPU, that has what I presume is VIVO based on the pins, I never had a dongle for it, but i found what appears to be a compatible dongle, which has Component and S-Video / in and out for a total of 4 connectors. if he had a card with that feature, wouldn't that allow the same thing? what about for my computer, if I had that dongle, is there some type of capture software I would need to read from that connector?

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
i have done this already, but i connected ps2's svideo to a video capture card. as others pointed out, i dont believe your card has s-video in... i guess the s-video port is s-video out

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I had my XBox running through my TV card once but the framerate/picture was pretty crappy.
hmmmm weird. i'd agree for image quality, but i totally disagree as for framerate, as it is exactly the same on tv

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
The TV card I used was a cheap-o no-name from Hong-Kong (I think it cost me about £2??) so it could have been that. Alternately it could have just been a dodgy svid cable.

Did you use good quality cable, jap0nes or was it just a cheap 'came-with-my-video-card' cable? I'd be interested to see if you could get a good picture through video-in cable.

Bear_San - what monitor are you using? If its a newer flat panel it might just have component ins anyway, and judging by your card you wont have a crappy monitor.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
well, it could be your $2 card :)
actually i used a cheap cable, but at least to me, the image looked so much better than on tv, probably for not being interlaced. Also, it looked a lot better than that with original PS2 RCA cables.
anyway, i think the problem you had was mostly due to your cheap-o no-name card than cabling.
ah, i had no problems about framerates too.

Bear_San

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Its a 21' Flat Screen Trinitron CRT. I prefer CRT to LCD, which is nice, because they're cheaper to replace when they break.

I know the S-Video In works as it should, because I used Windows Movie Maker to capture from my Xbox. I just need to find software to run the s-video in at realtime.

Bear_San

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I tried installing the "software" but that was just WDM drivers. There aren't any other discs either, not counting the bundled games.

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Look at your so-called s-video connector (on the card) and check how many pins it's got. If it has 4 or 5 pins (I cant remember exactly), then you've got a standard s-video out only connection. If your s-video connection (on the card) has something like 7 ~ 9 pins (again I cant remember the exact pin count) then you've got a VIVO connection.
My Asus Geforce Ti4400 Deluxe VIVO has got 7 ~ 9 pins and it comes with a special cable with it and on it, it has specific connections for video input and video output!

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I know the S-Video In works as it should, because I used Windows Movie Maker to capture from my Xbox. I just need to find software to run the s-video in at realtime.

Then we don't need to ascertain whether or not it's an input or output, it obviously is an input (which is odd, I thought ATi/Allinwonder was the only line that bothered with vivo anymore).

Like everyone's saying, get WinDVR or something on trial and see if you can 'tune' that to your Svid input. It wasn't hugely difficult on my software, it was just a case of Right Click>Input>Composite/S-Video I think.