S-Video (TV-Out) does not work during startup

Ivan

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

When I connect the video card (XFX GEFORCE4 MX 440 8X AGP 128MB) to the TV
via the S-Video connector, the vertical sync on the TV is not stable during
the time that the computer is starting up (bios boot process). The picture
frame continuously moves from bottom to the top -- and the Bios setup screen
(for example) is not useable.

When Windows XP completes its startup, the vertical sync becomes stable and
the picture is normal. I suspect the video driver on XP corrects the
problem with the vertical sync.

However, if I boot up the same machine in Windows 98SE, the vertical sync
problem never goes away -- making Win98SE useless.

Does anyone have an idea of what is going on?

Thanks,

- Ivan

"Ivan" <i_domin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When I connect the video card (XFX GEFORCE4 MX 440 8X AGP 128MB) to the TV
> via the S-Video connector, the vertical sync on the TV is not stable
during
> the time that the computer is starting up (bios boot process). The
picture
> frame continuously moves from bottom to the top -- and the Bios setup
screen
> (for example) is not useable.
>
> When Windows XP completes its startup, the vertical sync becomes stable
and
> the picture is normal. I suspect the video driver on XP corrects the
> problem with the vertical sync.
>
> However, if I boot up the same machine in Windows 98SE, the vertical sync
> problem never goes away -- making Win98SE useless.
>
> Does anyone have an idea of what is going on?

Sounds like the TV output refresh rate is not suitable for your TV. Is the
refresh rate in Win98 set differently to WinXP? I guess it's possible that
the XP driver supports a lower refresh rate than 60Hz, but you'd need to
check that.

As to it cycling during boot, how old is your TV? It sounds like it's not
able to deal with a 60Hz signal, so I'm guessing it's pretty old - my 5 year
old 14" portable is happy with a 60Hz signal via TV out composite conversion
(it has no SVideo input :\) fed via it's SCART socket.

Dan

Ivan

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

The television is about 4 years old -- it's a Toshiba 2000 model. The
TV-out works only under Windows XP. I downloaded the latest NVidia drivers
for Windows 98, but they don't help.

The resolution/frequency I'm trying is 800 x 600 @ 60Hz for both WinXP and
Win98.

- Ivan