S-video, WHAT and is it worth it?

G

I just bought a Sony WEGA and its great but there is no S-video. I have a laptop w/ a RCA outlet which i connect to the TV, i get pretty good results, even 1024X768, but i can't see the fonts that well. Well how much better is SVideo? Would i actually be able to read the words on the TV if I use it? I am planning to get a computer w/ a S-video output so I am wondering if I should get the sony wega w/ the s-video out. Is s-video's resoultion higher? what difference would it bring?????

G

You will get a better picture with the S-Video cable, but even with it you still won't be able to see the text that well. You might want to try a good scan converter. If not, check out avsforum.com's HTPC forum ... lots of good info there.

G

www.svideotorca.com has some great products for this type of thing. Check out what they have too. I just bought, what else, an s-video to rca convertor cable from them and it looked like they had a lot of other cool stuff too.

- Every private citizen has a public responsibility

dfoisy

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2001
I am surprised that you bought a SONY WEGA without an S-Video on it...it must be a small model (but i still believe Sony should put S-Video connecters on their smaller models too).

The beauty of S-Video is that it separates luminance from chrominance so the color separation is sharper, more defined but i don't know about the text issue.

Better than S-Video is "component" connections which really separates the colors and the sync. thus requiring three rca connectors in an RGB manner.

mpjesse

Splendid
S-Video shows more lines of resolution basically. But the major improvement is it's ability to intrepret grayscale or dark and light. RCA cables just send color- not shades. S-Video sends shades. You can see a big difference in a movie that has a lot of darkness like "The Matrix"

-MP Jesse

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
S-video also transfers a cleaner image with less bleeding or bluring and less "noise" (such as lines and snow). I had to switch to s-video for my tv connection because I got tired of the pore quality results of trying to transmit composite over long distances (around 15 feet).

Suicide is painless...........

G

I'm Not Sure about US Models but all Wega Models in the UK include scart sockets. You can get cables to connect svideo connections to scart.

This brings me to another question.
Does anyone know if I can connect the rgb lines of the monitor output directly to the rgb in of the scart?

The quality of the picture passed through the RGB is far superior to Composite or SVideo especially on large screens.

G

mpjesse, actually S-video offers nomore lines of resolution than any other connection. It is slightly cleaner than composite and you may or may not notice a diference at all. Depending the length of cable, say 20 feet or more, I would then recomend S-video or coponent connections.

G

I don't think SCART has the C-Sync signal for RGB monitors.

However, check out this site for all the cable pin outs you need.

http://www.technick.net/

Jeff

TRENDING THREADS