[s] YASD Shouldn't have underestimate Vecna...

Well, quite a good game, minetown, Soko (amulet), minesend. Lacking BoH
and magic whistle. Found a BoH at third level of quest (didn't go
further). Walk a bit in lawfull quest (being a bit stupid with the
coaligned priest and a ring of conflict and later with the altar and a
were* corpse :-( )
Then back in the dungeon, Chaotic quest, OK, let's try that. Wow, Lich
summonning (never really fighted liches before). Scroll of taming gave me
black dragon, rock troll and umber hulk :)

Advancing a bit, killing around 15 L's and as many V's. Going back to the
dungeon (cross-aligned altar) to BUC-id everything I've found, blessed
remove curse, blessed id, alchemy a potion of gain level. At least I have
a magic whisle !

Back in the quest. Everything clear, big room, cast a few light. Vecna's
here.

Well, that should be doable. Magic missile, magic missile (plus I needed
to increase my attack spells skill). No more mana. Let's go for
hand-to-hand pets !

Stethoscope. What ! He's level 49 ! No pet will attack him (should have
conflicted and let my black dragon breath/reflect, maybe) ! Vecna cast a
spell. What ! 80 points of damage ! (HPs a little less than 100)
Hum, well... here... Let's try to cancel him with this wand (maybe I
should have try to teleport him instead). No effect.
Vecna cast a spell.
Oh no, this is finger of death.
DYWYPI ?

Next time, I'll find some MR before saying hello to Vecna...

And fighting the L's and V's showed me that genoless seems possible (I
have never really fought them, and never really fought mind flayers
either).

Oh, and slash'em monks are definitely far better than vanilla's.
OTOH, a god-protected doppelganger monk ahs hard time when trying to
nurse-dance (naked AC around -9 at XL 10, the nurse kept missing me...)

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

> Next time, I'll find some MR before saying hello to Vecna...
> Oh, and slash'em monks are definitely far better than vanilla's.
> OTOH, a god-protected doppelganger monk has hard time when trying
> to nurse-dance (naked AC around -9 at XL 10

You were a doppelganger monk above XL 9? Then you can have magic
resistance and reflection at will. If you self-polymorph into a
crystal golem, you will suddenly be VERY badass, with a set of killer
intrinsics, 18/** Str, a random breath attack for 10 Pw, and 300 HP.

Vecna also respects Elbereth, and he won't cast attack spells when
you're standing on it, but he can still summon nasties.

You need a strongly enchanted weapon to damage Vecna, so I would
recommend a hi-rate firearm and blessed +5 bullets, or perhaps a few
wands of magic missile.

It's not a good idea to have Vecna disintegrated, because his hand is a
VERY useful artifact, giving hungerless regen and 1/2 phys damage.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 notarealuser@wireless.co.il wrote:

> > Next time, I'll find some MR before saying hello to Vecna...
> > Oh, and slash'em monks are definitely far better than vanilla's.
> > OTOH, a god-protected doppelganger monk has hard time when trying
> > to nurse-dance (naked AC around -9 at XL 10
>
> You were a doppelganger monk above XL 9? Then you can have magic
> resistance and reflection at will. If you self-polymorph into a
> crystal golem, you will suddenly be VERY badass, with a set of killer
> intrinsics, 18/** Str, a random breath attack for 10 Pw, and 300 HP.

Well, when I first saw him I didn't think he will be such a nuisance and
so start by casting magic missile (plus I needed to increase my attack
spells skill) until I have no mana before engaging hand-to-hand combat. At
this point, my stethoscope make me realize how bad things were but it was
too late to polyself :-( Of course, next time I'll do something like
that...

> Vecna also respects Elbereth, and he won't cast attack spells when
> you're standing on it, but he can still summon nasties.

Should have thing about that too (plus I think I had a wand of fire with
me at that point).

> You need a strongly enchanted weapon to damage Vecna, so I would
> recommend a hi-rate firearm and blessed +5 bullets, or perhaps a few
> wands of magic missile.

spell of magic missile did do a few damage. Grand master martial art also
dealt about 15-20 damage iirc.

> It's not a good idea to have Vecna disintegrated, because his hand is a
> VERY useful artifact, giving hungerless regen and 1/2 phys damage.

Yes, the artifact spoiler I've read. Notice that the 1/2 phys damage is
provided by gauntlets of defense, first garanteed gift for monks so I
don't care much about that usually.

Well, last night I also meet a very very stupid death... Manage to die on
Sokoban zoo, with 4 pet baby black dragon and 2 large dogs (when entering
the zoo, a few less at the time of death), a magic whistle, a wand of
extra healing and a blessed magic lamp. Just was so sure of me that I
didn't check HPs...
(and that was amulet Soko, and I've just found an uncursed amulet in a
bone file at Oracle...)
Shouldn't play past 2 AM.

And also, I should go back a bit to my gypsy famr, I've only made 20
wishes so far...

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

notarealuser@wireless.co.il wrote:
>>Next time, I'll find some MR before saying hello to Vecna...

>>Oh, and slash'em monks are definitely far better than vanilla's.
>>OTOH, a god-protected doppelganger monk has hard time when trying
>>to nurse-dance (naked AC around -9 at XL 10

> You need a strongly enchanted weapon to damage Vecna, so I would
> recommend a hi-rate firearm and blessed +5 bullets, or perhaps a few
> wands of magic missile.

+4 bullets are sufficient, so I guess that with all ordinary weapons an
enchantment of +4 will suffice to hit him (not necessarily to kill
him!). With artifacts, +2 seems to be sufficient (at least this is the
case with Mjollnir).

A monk at grand master level can also kill him with relative ease, if he
can avoid losing Hp during the fight, for example by quaffing a potion
of invulnerability. (And he can do so fast, by pummeling him first, or
even in one turn using chained blitz - but I don't remember whether a
level 9 monk has that already.)

My general strategy: genocide L - you are not permitted to genocide
Vecna; enter chaotic quest, locate Vecna (blindfold and telepathy),
teleport at a distance of two squares from him, read a blessed scroll of
earth. Now he can't attack you until one of the vampires and zombies
present zaps a wand of striking. Wield an assault rifle or a submachine
gun switched to automatic fire and shoot him with bullets that are
enchanted to +4 or higher. With an assault rifle, 3 to 4 rounds of five
bullets each should be sufficient (but have 40+ bullets ready, in case
he is at more than 300 Hp and the RNG is against you).

--
Klaus Kassner