Question s

jessedays

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
For about 4-5 years I've been using my computer regularly and gaming almost everyday. It has been a pre-built alienware x51 r2. My question is how the hell hasn't it burned up and died on me, because I've upgraded my GPU to a 1070 Asus turbo years ago and now i am barely noticing that my psu is only 240w.

I added the GPU and CPU (i7 4770) tdp and its past that number.

Also I bought a 330w brick and noticed no difference.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
CPU 54W, GPU 150W, leaving 40 watts for the rest of the system.
What resolution is your monitor, 1080P? the 1070 will not be consuming full power if used on lower resolutions, the power draw will increase at 1080@ 144hz, higher res and refresh will require more power.
I do not think you have pushed the card to the max and even so the system will have barely enough wattage. the smaller power brick will get hotter as the closer to the maximum you run them the less efficient they are.

Reactions: jessedays

jessedays

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
What resolution is your monitor, 1080P? the 1070 will not be consuming full power if used on lower resolutions, the power draw will increase at 1080@ 144hz, higher res and refresh will require more power.
I do not think you have pushed the card to the max and even so the system will have barely enough wattage. the
I do not think you have pushed the card to the max and even so the system will have barely enough wattage. the smaller power brick will get hotter as the closer to the maximum you run them the less efficient they are.
Thanks, So of I wanted go overclock my GPU a little I would need the 330 brick? I'm already gaming at 144hz 1080p too.