S3 Gets a Leg Up on ATI and Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
512 MB at 500 MHz with a 64 Bit bus? With bandwidth that small is 512 MB even getting used? Would the card even see a performance drop if it decreased its memory to 256 MB or even 128 MB?

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
demonhorde665:

Matrox and S3 did not move to away from the high end market in case of S3 this claim could be mostly right but Matrox still makes high end workstation graphic cards and they make them not only for x86 structured machines.

Just to clarify myself the definition of high end grfx card is based on the application of that card and in there segment at least matrox is doing a great job.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
i think s3 should focus on the HTPC market now that a lot is buying HD monitors and TV's and they can't come close to AMD and Nvidia.
will love 1080p,usable post processing improvements, low power, fanless heatsink at this price.

G

Sound by graphic card... nice, but... for gamers it is too slow, and for H.264 ( blu-ray ) integrated nvidia or ATI/AMD is more then enough.
There isn't place on the market for this card.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Przemo[/nom]Sound by graphic card... nice, but... for gamers it is too slow, and for H.264 ( blu-ray ) integrated nvidia or ATI/AMD is more then enough.There isn't place on the market for this card.[/citation]
The article comparing integrated graphics playback of HD content demonstrated some weakness to that approach, and some people might be trying to convert an older computer (or at least parts of one) into an HTPC, so the newer integrated Nvidia/AMD approach may not be an option.
I think I'd like to see a review of this card if Tom's can get their hands on it. It'd be a refreshing change of pace from Nvidia/ATI all the time. :)

Spathi

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
The point should be it is Dolby Digital, ATI so far is only Dolby Pro Logic II(x)... proly cos most ppl are too dumb to know any better.

DD sounds better than DPL. Anyone with an AMP know this... (if they have worked out how to toggle between them). Dolby HD would be even better I suppose.. but hardly anybody has ever used it... not much even uses DTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.