Question S3 SSD WIN10 not booting

johnj20

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Hi there,

I have built a new PC recently and I'm having an issue getting it to boot up with my SSD (Win10) from my other computer. I've been researching potential fixes through these forums, however most seem to pertain to different hardware than what I'm working with. Mainly those seem to be dealing with M2 slots.

Z690M Phantom gaming 4 (3.01)
I5-12600k
32 16x2 Patriot DDR4-2133
EVGA 1000k GQ
GTX 1060
SSD EVO 860

The SSD is found, however only shows up as storage. I have it plugged in currently in the SATA3_0 port. No other SSDs are plugged in.

I haven't changed much in the Bios. Storage configuration shows SATA mode as AHCI

Everything runs fine when I use the SSD in my other computer. I'm leaning toward running a WIN10 repair tool, or potentially updating the Bios, but potentially there might be some sort of change I should look into with a Bios setting? Just seems weird this new Mobo wont pick it up and run with it.

Really appreciate any advice given!

USAFRet

Titan
The SSD was from a different system?
That often does not work, trying to boot up in a new one.

New system often/usually requires a fresh Windows install.

Also, when you installed the OS in the original system, was there more than one drive physically connected?
An HDD maybe?

Reactions: johnj20

johnj20

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Thanks for the reply!

It's been a bit since I've built, and I totally forgot about a fresh install. Thank you for pointing that out.

I've order a new SSD that should be here tomorrow, and I've got Win10 iso set on a thumb drive to install when it gets here.

I'll just keep this old one (i5 3570k) going for my kids.

I have a good many HDDs, and SSDs (low storage) around. I've hooked them up over the years just to store data, but I'm pretty sure nothing was connected when I installed the OS.