S3 Sues Apple Over 3D Graphics Rendering

Status
Not open for further replies.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
However, since S3 has hit Apple with yet another patent infringement lawsuit, we can safely assume that the acquisition was mainly about S3's patent base. S3 claims that Apple has been violating two of its patents, a VGA controller patent as well as a technology that describes "Block- and band-oriented traversal in three-dimensional triangle rendering".

desktop and notebook computers such as the MacBook series and the iMac

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Did Apple not realize that when they started suing everyone for everything to maintain market dominance that eventually the end result would be everyone suing the crap out of them in retaliation?

The end result of this may well be that Apple looses their market dominance simply because they have all of their resources tied up in litigation and not in research and development.

In the beginning Steve Jobs "One Ring to Rule them All" philosophy prevented Apple from ruling the home computer market when they clearly had the superior system over the PC. Instead of sharing it with the industry they sued everyone who tried to imitate it and in the end Microsoft won and they were forced to live on the fringe of the computer world in small niche markets.

It looks like history is about to repeat itself.

mariush

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
It's actually quite simple...

Via + S3 + HTC are owned by a couple, husband and wife. They help each other make points against Apple....

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
S3 still exists? And it owns meaningful patents related to 3D?

How is it possible that these patents only affect Apple? Is the rest of the industry already paying them fees for what they own?

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]S3 still exists? And it owns meaningful patents related to 3D? How is it possible that these patents only affect Apple? Is the rest of the industry already paying them fees for what they own?[/citation]
It is owned by HTC now. They can choose who to sue :) Yea, payback is a biatch. I'd love to see them filing an injunction and prevent Apple from launching their iPhone. That'd be funny

good, i hope more companies keep suing Apple to give them a taste of their own medicine. If enough people sue them i may no longer have to put up with their crappy fad products, and the Apple zombie infection will be over.

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
>>It is also asking for "adequate" compensation, triple damages and the usual array of reimbursement of legal fees.

must! charge premium 'cause it's apple.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I can only say if Apple losses to S3 patens Apple will have to pay and I will respect that decision.

But to say it clearly, when a German judge found merits in Apple claiming against Samsung many here and there said the judge received money or pressure from Apple or invalidated and discredited that decision. Still today many here are arguing there is no other possible way to design a tablet and that Apple got away with the minimalistic design patent. All this discredits the German decision.

But now what are some you going to say if Apple losses? The system suddenly works, alleluia!
Do you really believe in the judges and the jury with their faults and merits or do you already make up your mind and know what you are going to say if Apple looses on wins? Now call me fanboy.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
@ Thunderfox--
S3 has a very important patent on 3d---S3TC/DXTC which I believe is still a part of every single graphics chip in use today. Or at least the fundamental building blocks of the modern version of TC.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Block and Band oriented traversal is too obvious a method for drawing triangles in a 3D image. Why does the US patent office give such obvious patent trolls away?

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]So, the tables have turned![/citation]

I hate to do it but, don't you mean the "Tablet's" have turned....... I have some phone jokes too....

HenrikG

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2005
I remember my first real worth mentioning 'gaming' rig had an S3 Savage card. Seriously, they haven't been doing anything with these patents. They're now irrelevant. In reality I think patent law has become ridiculous. If a company isn't doing anything worthwhile with their patents other than sitting on them or suing someone else for using them I think it's time they expire.

Yes, its definitely time someone sued Apple for copyright infringement.
Are they not making a mint by overcharging people for the same tech just because it has an apple on it? How much more money does Apple really need?

Maybe Al Gore should sue Apple for copyright infringement because he invented the internet.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]aznshinobi[/nom]And so the battle of the lawyers begin.[/citation]
BEGIN? This wasn't the first shot across Apple's bow... And of course, it won't be the last.

Status
Not open for further replies.