s775 DDR2 & DDR3 capable mobo. RAM upgrade options.

sun lbx

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
Hi folks, decided to sign up finally.
So here's this Asus P5QC motherboard i've got, socket 775, p45 chipset and stuff.
The config is the following:
CPU: core 2 quad q9550 @ 4ghz
RAM: 4gb ddr2-1066
GPU: GTX 750 Ti
So, the CPU is kind of the best for s775, enough to run games decently and all that.
GPU is easily upgraded.
The real dilemma is my RAM upgrade.
I can get another 4gb set of ddr2-1066, and end up with 8gb ddr2-1066.
OR i could get a set of ddr3-1600 (2x4gb), and end up with 8gb ddr3-1600.
DDR3 will cost me my monthly Belarussian salary, which sucks. The extra 4gb ddr2 kit will cost me way less.
Considering the old p45 chipset, is ddr2 way really good enough?
Thanks.

Solution
I was looking at this memory take a look and maybe contack gskill support and see what they say for your board ??

Works in older Socket 775 build!

Pros: Was able to OC to 1600MHz and run stable for 12+ hrs on both Memtest and Prime 95.
Very low voltage
Easy to install

Cons: XMP profile did not work. Timings provided also did not work. Was able to figure it out with help from G Skill customer service

Didn't actually remember anything I whispered to it gently in the night. What kind of memory can't remember that?!

Other Thoughts: Bought this set to replace an aging 4GB (2x2GB) set from OCZ that I could never get stable. At first I couldn't get the RAM to OC at all. Would NOT post. Reached out to G Skill and they corrected the...
With that system DDR3 did not gain much performance. In terms of DDR2 1067MHz vs DDR3 1600MHz you lose maybe at worst (with 7-6-6-20 DDR3 1600) 16% read bandwidth but Write bandwidth is very very close to each other.

A lot of it was due to the fact that the CPU did not have a IMC but the memory controller was on the motherboard which limited the bandwidth it could get out of DDR3. When Intel moved to a IMC on their LGA1366 CPUs they were able to almost triple the memory read and write bandwidth.

My suggestion is to get more DDR2 but make sure you get as close to the brand and kit you have, mainly because if you change it too much you might run into compatibility issues.

looked at the cost of ddr2 now ? and still no guarantees it going to work on that chipset there was a guy in another old thread ran in to this same deal with the newer memory ddr2 and 3 ???

all you can do is you best homework on this then you buy you try and hope it don't make you cry

good luck

That board was designed with 6 DIMM slots. 4 support DDR2 and 2 support DDR3. Intel designed all the 4X series chipsets to support both DDR2 and DDR3 because it was a bridging chipset between the move from DDR2 to DDR3, much like Skylake is a bridge between DDR3 and DDR4.

The first DDR3 only chipset/CPU was X58/Nehalem (first i7 series).

His only issue might be compatibility with his board but most DDR2 4GB sticks should work since his board supports up to 16GB of DDR2.

well maybe ?? I guess he will soon find out -- I guess use the asus Memory QVL for your board and see whats out there and hope there the same ic's used back when they were tested ??

all ways buy your memory in factory matched full kits - mixing memory has no guarantee of stability and may not play nice

good luck

I think invest in a modern today board if you were to get this memory and it don't work out then what ?? I don't know your getting pretty dated

and not much offered for what you ask [8gb] and 75 bucks for no brand stuff??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006042&IsNodeId=1

I was looking at this memory take a look and maybe contack gskill support and see what they say for your board ??

Works in older Socket 775 build!

Pros: Was able to OC to 1600MHz and run stable for 12+ hrs on both Memtest and Prime 95.
Very low voltage
Easy to install

Cons: XMP profile did not work. Timings provided also did not work. Was able to figure it out with help from G Skill customer service

Didn't actually remember anything I whispered to it gently in the night. What kind of memory can't remember that?!

Other Thoughts: Bought this set to replace an aging 4GB (2x2GB) set from OCZ that I could never get stable. At first I couldn't get the RAM to OC at all. Would NOT post. Reached out to G Skill and they corrected the timings for my older build, only was running at 1067Mhz.

With some additional tweaking and fine tuning finally got this to OC at 1600Mhz and is running extremely stable.

ASUS P5E3 Premium Wifi Motherboard
Q9400 Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz Processor (OC to 3.2Ghz)
Main drive SAMSUNG 500GB SSD
Radeon HD 4830 512MB Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL090415&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL090415&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL090415-_-EMC-090415-Index-_-DesktopMemory-_-20231314-S0C

only this is ASUS P5E3 ? maybe a bios thing between boards or something ??

all you can do is contact them to find out for sure on all this ?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS