Sabertooth 990fx - Possible Bios Update Issue

Adombom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Hello everyone.

Recently built a new rig (I'll list specs below) and it was absolutely fantastic! However, I had noticed that a BIOS update was available so I downloaded it, threw it on a flash drive and updated it with the EZ Flash utility. I let the utility run it's course, and then it went to restart after it had completed.

That's when the problem started. Dead screen, no post beep at all, and now my VGA_LED is redder than Cheech's eyeballs. I know for sure it's not the video card because it was working perfectly fine before the update.

I'm really at a loss here. I scoured the internet and tried all sorts of things (CMOS jumper, CMOS battery removal, CMOS battery replacement, trying different PCI-E slots, trying no video card at all, taking the RAM out and trying them one by one) but nothing will bring this back from the dead. I did the EZ Flash as directed in the Sabertooth's user manual, and the BIOS file was directly from ASUS' website.

I thought I would ask here before I went the ASUS Support route, because I know how helpful those folks are.

Specs:

ASUS Sabertooth 990fx
Phenom II X6 1100T - running stock
Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9W (note that it's not on the QVL, however it's exact same as the Vengeance with the big ol' spiky heat-sink coming off the top of it, or so I've been lead to believe. Either way it was fully registering when the computer was working properly)
Corsair 750TXV2 PSU
EVGA GeForce 570 HD SC
Corsair H80 CPU cooler

If anyone has any suggestions, I'll gladly take them. Unfortunately I don't have any other hardware (I'm upgrading from a way old ASrock build put together many moons ago) for testing purposes, but if worst comes to worst I'll visit a friend who recently bought a new rig.

Thanks folks!

Adombom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Well a little birdie told me that it would help with 1600 ram compatability, but I guess you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. Serves me right.

beenthere

Distinguished
Does the Asus mobo have a dual BIOS so you can just revert to the backup BIOS like on Gigabyte mobos? If not many times the original BIOS is automatically saved to disk with the suffix .OLD. If it's there you may be able to restore it.

Adombom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
No I certainly wish that were the case. However I spoke with support this morning and theyre gonna send me off a news BIOS chip. I wil not be updating the BIOS any time in the immediate future come hell or high water.