Sabertooth p67 - doesn't recognize HDD

kesten_slo

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Hello ppl :)

i'm having a problem.

I've bought a SSD and started a fresh win7 install. All went ok until I started to connect all my other hard drives.

I have:

1 x SSD
5 x 1 TB Samsung F3 spinpoint
1 x 1,5TB Samsung
and the DVD-RW

Sabertooth p67 has 8 sata connetors and all are used.

Win 7 installation went ok - the SSD is connected to the Intel 6 Gb/s connector. But when I try to connect any of the other HDDs to the other Intel Sata connector, it doens't show up in My Computer.

If I go to Store - Disk Management it show that there is a drive with 1863,02 GB of Unallocated space (when I'm connecting the 1TB HDD) and the window appears:

"Initialize disk:

You must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it.
Select disks: (only 1 disk option)"

And under this there is a option to choose MBR or GTP.

Which ever I choose it says -> "The system cannot find the file specified".

If I switch this same disk to either Marvell controller or any other sata port on the motherboard the HDD shows up in My computer as it should, no problems at all.

What am I doing wrong? Please help since I need all of the connectors to run as they should - I need all of my HDDs for video editing.

Many thanks.

kesten_slo

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

In the meantime I find out that if I set the SATA mode to IDE instead of ACHI, all my hard drives show up in My Computer and are useable.

I did 2 benchmarks for the SSD

IDE mode
ssd-idemode2.jpg

ACHI mode
ssd-achimode2.jpg

I only have my OS (win 7 x64) and programs (Adobe for video and photo editing) on my SSD.

What does this mean for me? Is it that much worse in IDE mode? I do need all my drives for storage, previews, exports, etc for video editing work...

I can't answer your performance related question, but here is the firmware patch:

Samsung F3 and F3EG Firmware Patch/Update:
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/223631en/?language=en_US&c=Products%3ASamsung_Internal&fs=Search&pn=1

"This patch code is released in order to solve the compatibilty problem between some motherboards (the AMD SB850 chipset and the Intel P67/H67 chipset) and Samsung-brand hard drives, F3 and F3EG models only."

"This is relevant for Samsung-model internal drives with the following model numbers:

- HD323HJ / HD502HJ / HD503HI / HD103SJ / HD105SI"