Question Sabertooth X58 that keeps restarting.

Oct 2, 2019
I have a Sabertooth X58 that keeps restarting. I started doing that some years ago and I totally forgot about it but now I want to repair it. I have 2 of the same Asus motherboards, they were both sent to be RMA back in the day but the issue persisted, I also tried using another CPU that I bought used on ebay. The situation did not change.

I have 2 sets of G.Skill memories, the Ripjaws 3x2GB and the sniper 3x4 GB.

The PSU is an Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000W

1/20 attemps I may get to the Bios

the computer goes in a restarting cycle when the 8-pin jack is plugged in

some times the reboots may be quicker that others

sometimes it seems it is trying to go through the selfcheck for a few seconds

some other times it will restart after half a second

very rarely will get to windows 1 out of 100 attemps

but it will freeze up

if I remove the 8-pin connector out of the motherboard it won't reboot but it will stay with all red lights on doing pretty much nothing

I tried swapping the memory in many different combinations

I tried clearing the CMOS and using the mem-ok

can someone give me any suggestions on how to narrow down the problem

Oct 2, 2019
Well, that shows the voltages. Even if the voltages are correct, there could be other issues.
Well, that shows the voltages. Even if the voltages are correct, there could be other issues.
So, what PSU would you recommend? and also based on the symptoms how can I discard memory, cpu and the actual motherboard as the source of the problem as well?

Oct 2, 2019
ASUS Sabertooh X58 LGA1366 Intel x58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0
AverMedia AverTV HD DVR
Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6 GB (3 X 2GB)240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
G.SKILL Sniper Series 12 GB (3 X 4GB)240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
2 Western Digital VelocityRaptor WDI1500HLFS 150 GB 1000 RPM (Raid 0)

Could be a few things. I mean, the drives are up to 11 years old by now, the TV tuner and video card up to 9. Similar to Nighthawk RMXs suggestion, I would try it without those oldest devices, possibly even replacing the hard drives with a temp solution if you have one, just to see if the problem goes away.

Just to be clear, does it start restarting while you are actively using the computer, or does it just take several starts to get it up and running?

Oct 2, 2019
I have tried to remove everything as suggested and it turned on with one memory stick. At first it was not doing the rebooting cycle but the dram led was on. Then I swapped the memory card with the other and it was doing both things. In some cases it would reboot constantly and some other cases it would not reboot but the dram was staying on. Then I realized if I wiggle the 28-pin cord when it was jut hanging showing the dram led and it will make the computer to start rebooting. But if I remove the 8-pin connector no matter how may times I wiggle the 28-pin cord it did not reboot anymore. I want to test it with a different PSU, a smaller one, but the other one I have does not come with a 8-pin connector, is there a way to boot the computer using that PSU?

Oct 2, 2019
Ok, I just ordered a new PSU but the question remains, is there a way to test the mobo with the other PSU I have the one without the 8-pin connector? If I understand correctly that one provides power to the CPU.

What do you mean "without the 8-pin connector"? That does, in conjunction with the 24-pin connector, provide 12v power to the CPU. For that particular board, a 4-pin connector may work in a pinch, if that's what you have. But since I haven't seen you mention what this other PSU is, I have no idea.

Oct 2, 2019
The new PSU should come within the next 3 days so I'll post an update early next week. If the problem does not get resolved and it turns to be the motherboard, the question is, should I buy a used Gigabyte/EVGA/Asus or a Chinese one?

Oct 2, 2019
I replaced the powersupply with a PSU and now it does not move but it takes 2 to 3 times to start up and does get to the bios, if you wiggle the cord it does not turn off anymore. Now though it does not see all of my memory, it only sees 6 GB out of my 18 GB, it is basically only seeing my G.Skills RIPjaws and none of the G.Skills Snipers. I have my memory installed as follows I have my G.Skills RIPjaws in the 1st, 3rd, and 5th slots, then in my 2nd, 4th, and 6th slots are my G.Skills Snipers.