[SOLVED] Sabertooth X79 will not load bios (won't post?)

Mar 11, 2019
Howdy,

Computer build:
MB: Sabertooth x79
GFX: GeForce GTX 980 Ti
CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K
RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2400
OS HD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 2.5" 128GB (SSD)
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 800W Power Supply

So yesterday my computer blue screened while I was playing a video game. Which is really unusual, my computer is 3-4 years old and maybe has bluescreen twice before.

Cut to a few hours later my computer once again dies, but this time it doesn't go to the BSOD, but my monitor goes black and gives a message of "Out Of Range."

I really should have seen the writing on the wall, but a few hours later, in the middle of a video game. It once again dies, doesn't give the BSOD, the monitor doesn't give a message this time.

This is where I made my fatal mistake, I think, I tried to turn off my computer after only a few seconds to restart it... but it wouldn't start anymore.

What I mean by it won't start: I mean it won't even get to the bios screen. When I click the power button for the first time, the fans will start to move like a few millimeters and then stop.
After the first time I try to click the power button, nothing will even move.

The "stand by power LED" is green when plugged in

What I've tried:
  • Reset the cmos using the built mb function for that
  • Unplugged my computer all night to reset cmos (not sure if that does anything, was recommended by a friend)
  • Flashed the bios to the latest build
(Any future people coming, the bios flash took me FOREVER to figure out, because I didn't see any documentation in the manual or website, but you need to rename the .CAP file to be SABERX79.CAP)

I've searched around, but haven't found any threads that have helped or were very similar to mine.

I have no idea where to go forward with it or what could be corrupt that caused this issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SOLUTION
  • The BSOD was from one of my hard drives failing
  • The other two crashes were from my graphics card failing
  • Once I removed the GFX card and used an old one, the computer was able to boot up just fine
  • Both the GFX and HDD seem to be bricked :'(

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 800W Power Supply

Removed the gfx card.

AHHH IT STARTED.

I don't think this has a built-in graphics card, as I don't see any video ouputs on the MB, but I think I have an old gfx card I can toss in.

Does this mean that my GFX is bricked?

Mar 11, 2019
The system wouldn't start fully because it didn't have a GFX card installed. => The VGA light came on.

I found my last GFX card from a few years ago and seems to be fully starting...

I'm on the windows loading screen now, though it's been there for a while.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019
I restarted the computer and it started up like normal. Only a few moments for it to get to the login screen. I'm posting to you from the previous dead desktop.

The only downside is that one of my secondary drives (my F drive) is not showing up. I do have a recent back up of it, but still.

I'm going to see if I can figure out if that's dead or not, but hopefully not.

The first game I BSOD was located on the F drive. The other two crashes, that game was located on the C drive.

So I guess that might explain that my BSOD was from my HDD and the other two crashes were from my GFX card. Which would also explain why I didn't see a BSOD for the final two crashes and my monitor wasn't displaying anything at all.