Sabertooth Z77 will not use second hard drive

aldeno

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
I have 1) 120GB Intel SSD and 2) 1TB WD Black caviar hard drive. Originally the SSD was plugged into SATA port 1, and the WD into port 2. The motherboard wouldn't recognize the WD on the boot menu, but did in advanced settings. I then switched the WD to port 1 and the SSD to port 2. Now it does the same thing but for the SSD. System will still boot however. Do I need to set the WD as a slave HD? Couldn't find much on the subject. Thanks.

NOTE: 1TB drive was originally in the SATA II port as the video card was in the way.

Hey Aldeno. I'm familiar with the Sabertooth BIOS since I had a Sabertooth 990FX before. maybe I can help. So your saying the hard drive isn't recognized when u plug it in a different port then when you flip flop the SSD isn't recognized?

aldeno

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
It is recognized I am just unable to set it as a boot priority (does not show on the list in ez-mode) Does not show up as a drive on the OS itself either. Hope that helps.

Yea what smorizio said can apply to many of the new Z77 boards that have as media controllers for some of the sata ports and intel for the native controller. Just try a different sata port for the time being till u get it figured out

Cumber1

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
i am having the exact same issue, ive tried everything but not this, i shall give it a go, though does anyone know if it is just a windows issue? if anyone uses a different OS it would be good to know if they have similar issues

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
If the drive is not being seen in UEFI:

1) Go into advanced mode as Smorzio suggests - the drive should be in the BOOT list.

If it's not in the BOOT list:

i) Check SATA data and power cables.

ii) If the HDD was ver part of a RAID array you may need to low loevel format the drive to delete the RAID meta data. This happens if the array was not disassembled by the OROM originally used to create the array.

iii) Update UEFI to the latest version on the ASUS Support page.

2) If the HDD is not being seen in the OS you need to format it by using the Disk Management snap in computer management. Use Google with those search terms and it will show you what to do.

-Raja

Cumber1

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT!!! so so so so happy, ok so heres the steps to do

right click on computer
click manage
click storage
then disk management
on the black shaded one right click and format then follow the wizard and hey presto it is now an allocated drive