Question Sabrent 500g NVMe slow write speed

BrianH2017

Prominent
May 2, 2017
hello everyone. i just bought a Sabrent 500g NVMe with ratings of 3400mb read and 3000 write, havent even had it in the computer for a day and these are the scores i got... idk why there all over the place and im just asking why their like that... and why im not getting the 3k write.
https://ibb.co/hW0HfjD

Last edited:

Darkbreeze

Titan
What Windows version are you running and what are the rest of your system specifications?

Does your motherboard have the MOST recent BIOS version installed?

Do you have the MOST recent motherboard chipset drivers installed?

Plus, it IS Sabrent, and they are not a top tier manufacturer, of anything. All their products are primarily budget type hardware so I guess you probably need to at least somewhat take their paper specs with a grain of salt, but still maybe better than what you are seeing.

It probably is also a major factor what you are writing FROM, or if writing from memory to the drive, how fast the memory is and how much of it you have. CPU and memory speed might definitely play a role there. I'd update everything listed above as well as any other drivers on your motherboard product page and then see what shakes out.

BrianH2017

Prominent
May 2, 2017
lets see here i have

Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 Case.
PSU: Corsair TX 850
Motherboard: Asus Strix Z270E gaming motherboard.
CPU: I7 6700k 4.0ghz, OC to 4.5ghz.
GPU: Asus Strix 1070 8Gig OC to 1867mhz gpu boost clock and 8606mhz memory clock.
RAM: G_Skill Trident Z 3000mhz RGB 32gigs 4X8gig ram.

i just updated my Mobo to recent drivers.

do i need my Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Drivers?

Also both my M.2 drive slots on the Mobo say pci-x4, but is the top one faster then the bottom slot? or do they even matter? i have the Sabrent in the bottom slot to avoid my GPU and Elgato HD60 Pro's heat.

Also updating my Mobo my Writes are still low. if i do 5 tests at 2gigs it drops to the 500mbs, but if i do 1 test at 500mbs i does get over 1gig write. so im assuming even though they advertise this m.2 can get up to 3000mbs writes. im just gonna have to assume my pc cant reach that? even though its reading almost faster then its advertised?

Darkbreeze

Titan
do i need my Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Drivers?
No, not unless you plan to use the integrated graphics.

Heat from your graphics card won't affect your M.2 drive, HOWEVER, being closer to the fans on your graphics card WILL help to keep your M.2 drive cooler and they ALL suffer from heat derived throttling, which is what I suspect might be going on with yours.

I would download HWinfo (NO others, just HWinfo. Not HWmonitor. Not Speccy. Not openhardware monitor), install it and choose the "sensors only" option when you open. De-select the "summary" option. Scroll down to your NVME drive and look at the thermal sensor readings while running a performance test that normally gets a low result. Post the thermal results.

I think it's also possible one of those M.2 slots only supports x2 speeds while the other supports x4 speeds. It might be worth moving to the other slot and re-testing.