[SOLVED] Sabrent Hard Drive Docking Station Spontaneously Disconnecting/Reconnecting (SOLVED)

MaskedRiderChris52

Prominent
Jul 9, 2021
I have a wonderful little piece of tech from Sabrent, a HDD docking station that is USB 3.0 and accommodates both 3.5" and 2.5" SATA drives (HDD & SSD, model EC-HDD2). As of recently it's been spontaneously disconnecting and reconnecting from my PC desktop system (which is running Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon), where it was not doing so before. I'm not sure why? Any ideas from y'all out there? When I'm in the middle of reformatting a SSD/HDD or trying to clone something, this won't do at all. I've had it for 2-3 years tops, and it's not used that often, so it can't possibly be crapping out this early already?

Solution
I tried plugging it into my Win10 box, turned it on and plugged in a spare SSD I had on hand, and it made the noise that something was plugged in/happening, but nothing else. it didn't show up in the connected devices list whether I plugged it into the USB port on the front of the case or into the USB hub I have plugged into the machine. Strange! As to how I mount the hard drives, I generally plug in the station first, insert the drive(s) into the station, then turn it on after that. The drive I tested it with has Linux Mint 19.3 on it, and the fact that neither the drive nor the device appeared to be recognized by the computer made me wonder if I need to replace this thing already?
From your description, it sounds like the...

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
I have a wonderful little piece of tech from Sabrent, a HDD docking station that is USB 3.0 and accommodates both 3.5" and 2.5" SATA drives (HDD & SSD, model EC-HDD2). As of recently it's been spontaneously disconnecting and reconnecting from my PC desktop system (which is running Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon), where it was not doing so before. I'm not sure why? Any ideas from y'all out there? When I'm in the middle of reformatting a SSD/HDD or trying to clone something, this won't do at all. I've had it for 2-3 years tops, and it's not used that often, so it can't possibly be crapping out this early already?
Have you tried it on a different computer? Have you tried a different USB port? If it works fine on another computer, it could be a driver issue or USB port issue. If it doesn’t work on other computers, it’s probably “crapping out.”

Edit: It could also be something with how you are mounting the hard drives. What’s your method of doing this?

MaskedRiderChris52

Prominent
Jul 9, 2021
Have you tried it on a different computer? Have you tried a different USB port? If it works fine on another computer, it could be a driver issue or USB port issue. If it doesn’t work on other computers, it’s probably “crapping out.”

Edit: It could also be something with how you are mounting the hard drives. What’s your method of doing this?

I tried plugging it into my Win10 box, turned it on and plugged in a spare SSD I had on hand, and it made the noise that something was plugged in/happening, but nothing else. it didn't show up in the connected devices list whether I plugged it into the USB port on the front of the case or into the USB hub I have plugged into the machine. Strange! As to how I mount the hard drives, I generally plug in the station first, insert the drive(s) into the station, then turn it on after that. The drive I tested it with has Linux Mint 19.3 on it, and the fact that neither the drive nor the device appeared to be recognized by the computer made me wonder if I need to replace this thing already?

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
From your description, it sounds like the docking station will need to be replaced. If you registered the warranty on Sabrent's website within 90 of purchasing the docking station, then you may have a 2 year warranty. I know you said you have had it for 2-3 years, so it probably ended already. You can check at Sabrent's Official site.

Solution

MaskedRiderChris52

Prominent
Jul 9, 2021
From your description, it sounds like the docking station will need to be replaced. If you registered the warranty on Sabrent's website within 90 of purchasing the docking station, then you may have a 2 year warranty. I know you said you have had it for 2-3 years, so it probably ended already. You can check at Sabrent's Official site.

I figured you'd say so and went ahead and replaced it today with a new station. Thank you for your input and suggestions!