[SOLVED] Sabrent Rocket 4.0 - slow write speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 8, 2021
Greetings!

Last December I purchased a Sabrent Rocket 4.0 Plus NVMe drive for my new build. Once I got it all up and running in early Feb, I did a quick CrystalDiskMark benchmark and got decent results - 6401/5259 read/write. Drive was 35% full at that time.

Today I decided to run another benchmark, and the results were nowhere near what they were just 5 months ago. The read speed seemed to be close to before, but the write speed has tanked. I am now getting 6381/1118 read/write and the drive is now 42% full. The write speed seems to have dropped to like 21% of what it was before.

I also have another a drive in the other M.2 slot that tests very close to what it tested at originally, though it is a PCIe Gen 3 drive.

I kept an eye on the drive during testing using HWMonitor and the temp never went above 52'. I did recently update the BIOS on my mobo, which cleared a bunch of settings so I'm not sure if it's something in there that could be causing it. I had to redo my DOCP settings when I flashed the BIOS and I made sure all the PCI were set to Gen4, but could there be something else I'm missing in there?

I'm not entirely sure when this performance drop happened, so I really have no way of knowing if the problem is related to the BIOS update or if it's something else completely . Any help, ideas, or suggestions would be much appreciated - thank you

Specs:

• Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (recently flashed to BIOS v.4002)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
  • Sabrent Rocket 4.0 Plus (1 TB) (*slow write drive)
  • Sabrent Rocket Q (2 TB) (tests fine)
  • Corsair AX1000 PSU
  • AIO/RAM/Vid card, etc. which I'm sure don't have anything to do with this issue :)

Solution
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correspond with the time/date the write speed dropped.

Reliability History uses a timeline format that may make the start of the performance drop stand out.

Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor (use both but only one at a time) to determine what all is running on your system and consuming resources - likely disk related.

Determine if there are any background apps running that are consuming disk related resources. Maybe backups, scans, updates, indexing, etc..

Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) may prove helpful as well.

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correspond with the time/date the write speed dropped.

Reliability History uses a timeline format that may make the start of the performance drop stand out.

Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor (use both but only one at a time) to determine what all is running on your system and consuming resources - likely disk related.

Determine if there are any background apps running that are consuming disk related resources. Maybe backups, scans, updates, indexing, etc..

Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) may prove helpful as well.

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Solution
Jul 8, 2021
Thanks for the quick reply.

I took a look at the things you mentioned -

Reliability History seemed to be very clean over the past month, except for a couple of very recent critical events. One occurred two days ago (which would be before I did any flashing or benchmarking) that says there was a hardware error:

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

And a couple more - one in Application Failures and one in Misc failures - that happened just last night I think before I flashed BIOS - one says windows was not properly shut down and another that has the same timestamp that says Diagnostic Policy Service stopped working (I'm thinking these two are related).

Event viewer has a number of Errors/Warnings that happened in the last 24 hours. Most of them are kernel event tracking regarding remediation or diag logging stopping. There is nothing in the "critical" category of event viewer and nothing in the "error" category seems to apply to disk usage. Most of the warning or errors that are older have to do with Appmodel-Runtime, Service Controol Manager, or ,NEt stuff.

Task Manager and Resource manager don't show anything of real significance that I can see. I do always try to make sure nothing is running wild - especially when I do benchmarks - and I am pretty careful in general about what I let run in the background on my system.

To be honest I don't dig around in this stuff too much so it's a little foreign to me so I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but from what I could see, nothing really stuck out to me.

If you have any more thoughts, please let me know. I really appreciate your response and advice - thank you. I suppose I should contact Sabrent and see if they have anything to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS