Review Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 8TB SSD Review: Big Capacity Meets TLC Flash

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
$1999+tax to game... more on tlc which is going to crap out quickly... and has performance caching issues. Was this ad, sorry article, paid for by sabrent?

Aaron44126

Reputable
Aug 28, 2019
MSRP was $1499 when this thing launched (about a month ago — I know because I purchased some). They bumped it up to $1999 more recently. Seems to be all out of stock, too.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
MSRP was $1499 when this thing launched (about a month ago — I know because I purchased some). They bumped it up to $1999 more recently. Seems to be all out of stock, too.

How is that even possible? Wouldn't that then imply that it sold well?

Anyways...having only one capacity option is what stops it from being a tempting buy. Half of the market isn't even focused on having 4TB nvme...even Samsung hasn't bothered with it.

Reactions: Kridian

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
$1999+tax to game... more on tlc which is going to crap out quickly... and has performance caching issues. Was this ad, sorry article, paid for by sabrent?
Are you sure you’re not confusing QLC and TLC? All modern consumer SSDs use a form of dynamic pSLC caching. MLC isn’t in production and SLC is either very expensive or QLC in full SLC mode.

Anyways...having only one capacity option is what stops it from being a tempting buy. Half of the market isn't even focused on having 4TB nvme...even Samsung hasn't bothered with it.
They have had Rocket 4 Plus capacities ranging from 500GB-4TB since before the release of this 8TB model. They use 176L flash now, an update from the original 96L, while the 8TB uses BiCS5. The 4TB model with 176L TLC is in the comparison charts for your reference.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
They have had Rocket 4 Plus capacities ranging from 500GB-4TB since before the release of this 8TB model. They use 176L flash now, an update from the original 96L, while the 8TB uses BiCS5. The 4TB model with 176L TLC is in the comparison charts for your reference

Oh I'm sorry my bad on that part. Still the general consumer hasn't even adapted to the 4tb NVMe capacity yet so having 8tb at this point seems pointless and expensive...

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
Oh I'm sorry my bad on that part. Still the general consumer hasn't even adapted to the 4tb NVMe capacity yet so having 8tb at this point seems pointless and expensive...
Yes, I agree that this drive is not for the average consumer, and this is the mindset of the big manufacturer such as Samsung, WD and Crucial. However, it’s a very hot item for prosumers and content creators. Demand is there and Sabrent seems to be the only one answering it. I’d love an 8TB 980 Pro or WD Black SN850/X, but their seemingly archaic mindset prohibit them from creating and selling them even though they should be fully capable of such.

Co BIY

Splendid
The way they want to sell them at a higher per TB cost than low TB drives runs against consumer's understanding of the world.

This is the problem.

No one upsells at a higher per unit price.

I do see a huge advantage to having a single drive in a system that needs High capacity.

Why no 3TB drives ? I think this could be a sweet spot in the Market.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020
The problem is prices of ultra high capacity SSDs have not really come down with time, and have actually increased in most cases from the under $100/TB to double digit percentages higher, with gold standard 2TB drives like the WD SN850 and Samsung 980 Pro sitting at $120/TB. 4TB and higher SSDs haven't seen the same kind of drop towards affordability.

Yes the need for higher than 2TB SSDs in the consumer space is rather limited given how easy it is to offload games and such to hard drives, as well as using 2-2TB NVMe drives in spanning RAID, but still by 2022 you would think 4TB and higher NVMe SSDs would be far more affordable than they are.

Reactions: WrongRookie

LastStanding

Prominent
May 5, 2022
How is that even possible? Wouldn't that then imply that it sold well?

Anyways...having only one capacity option is what stops it from being a tempting buy. Half of the market isn't even focused on having 4TB name...even Samsung hasn't bothered with it.

That's the thing, "sold out" doesn't always mean that the product is selling well. For example, when you have 70K orders but that vender has only managed to yield 12K.

I am not so credulous to think that an absurd overpriced 2K drive (and Sabrent's drives are not known for their impeccable endurance, etc.) is selling out faster than the PS5 without having some major supply issues (or Sabrent is doing an NVIDIA here), especially now with inflation and interests rates hikes.

Last edited: