Sad performance in Crysis with Radeon 4870 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Recently installed the crysis on my new system.The fps i am getting is very low and game sometimes lags when there is blast,smoke etc in the game.i read on forums that 4870 is good enough to handle crysis,gta4 etc.i am running game at 1024*768 and anti-aliasing at 2x.
But it runs playable at 800*600 with antialiasing 2x.also at this resolution,on upping the antialiasing to 4x,game starts stuttering.all settings at high.
specs-
Phenom x6 1090t
radeon 4870 1gb
2gb ddr2 ram
windows XP pro.

Solution
I would try disabling cool n quiet in bios.
Running XP ? I'm wondering if turbo is working ? And maybe the cpu is not ramping up to full clock speed. The gpu is definitely going to be waiting on the cpu/memory at those low resolutions. This article showed that Crysis basically relies on 1 core
http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/gaming_the_core_debate,4.html
Do you have the latest chipset drivers ? DDR2 would cost you some frames , but there is more wrong going on here.

markusaurileus

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Yeah, I would definitely think your setup is more than enough to run Crysis on high.

Are you running these in a manufactured PC or a homemade one? What's the wattage for the power supply, and is it brand name? Motherboard model?

ares1214

Splendid
Might be the ram thats slowing it down, although at that resolution, most modern video cards should play it to some degree of decency, especially considering the 4870 is a very nice card. Although crysis is still very demanding. What fps are you getting?

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
that doesnt make any sense. you should be getting 30+ fps at that res. with highest settings.

what Ati drivers do you have? are all your other games fps about right? obviously they wont lag like Crysis because they'r not as demanding but just take a look at some benchmarks for other games and see what fps your getting

Turn off AA. I used to have a 4870 1Gb card and could NEVER turn on AA or Crysis would just run like poo. I think I could run most thinks on High except the blur option, I turned that off. Crysis is a very demanding game, but still looks good with alot turned down.

Your 2GB of memory may also be an item.

Is that a typo with RAM (You've mentioned DDR2).. Anyway, i've played over Crysis quite a few times at 1680 x 1050 with 4xAA (Gamer settings) without any problems.. My rig was C2D E6750, 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM and a 4870 1GB.. You have a better CPU so should be getting better performance (although i too will recommend getting another 2GB of RAM).. Try reinstalling the game and apply the latest patch(s).. Keep your video card drivers updated also..

The OP's system is extremely unbalanced, you cannot pair up a decent GPU with the latest x6 CPU and expect the game to perform well at 1024x 768, the res is just too low and the GPU is resting when it should be the other way around. If I lower my GPU clock to 3.1Ghz and lower the res to 1024x 768 I would get the exact same outcome as the OP, maybe a bit better when it comes to min. frames but overall it would be the same. Crysis will run fine with 2Gb's unless its something lower than 800Mhz.

Turn of AA if you want smoother game-play, other than that you need a new screen ;)

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Ovrclkr, I'm not entirely sure makes sense.

yes he is playing at a low resolution, and his GPU is not goign to play as big a part is it should. but turning UP the res isn't going to improve his framerate. and with that CPU at that res he should certainly be getting decent frames.

He could almost certainly go to a higher res with a minimal loss of framerate, but there is something wrong if he is getting a lousy framerate with that setup and that res. (especially in dx9)

OP, do you have the latest drivers? do you have many background programs ruinning? with 2gb of RAM you may find crysis if relying on a pagefile for play, which in an open world game is very bad. try closing stuff in task manager to clear out some RAM (or get another 2gb)

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Zip, its probably not a typo. i assume hes using an AM2+ mobo.

that shouldn't hinder performance though. benches have shown AM2+ DDR2 systems don't cause any significant bottleneck. the fact there's only 2gb would be the main issue here.

ares1214

Splendid
Yeah, ddr2 isnt so much of an issue (although why would you get a 1090T and keep an am2+ board, i would have gotten a 955, ddr3 ram, and a am3 board, keep it till Bulldozer maybe). 4870 should be more than capable of playing Crysis at that resolution, easy. That means its down to only having 2 gigs of ram, which a lot of tests have shown isnt enough to game well, and theres a massive loss of performance between 4 gigs and 2 gigs, ill find the article. Or, like other have said, driver problem/ AA problem. Since Driver/AA is a lot easier to fix, try those 2, and if that doesnt work, then you need more ram. Isnt there a trick to get XP to recognize 2 gigs of RAM as like 5? Dont quote me on this, i just remember something about that.

correct but I didn't say he would gain any frames as his CPU is more than enough regardless of the res, my point is that he has a bottleneck and in order to loosen it he has to get a bigger screen. Turning up the AA will cause the system to lag no matter what res he uses (unless ups the clocks to at least 3.6Ghz). Hence why I play on "Enthusiast" settings with no AA at all. I can crank up the clocks to 4Ghz and the GPU to 1000/1300 and still get lag with the AA so there is no point + the game looks better and runs smoother when using "Enthusiast" settings with no AA as opposed to "Gamer" settings with a bit of AA.

I just tested the game at 1024x 768 w/ CPU @ 3.1Ghz and GPU at stock and ran the game with "Gamer" settings and 8xAA, the outcome was 35-45FPS with some occasional drops to about 20ish (blowing up humvees + red barrels). With the CPU at 4Ghz there was no lag at all so the OP might want to raise the clocks on that 1090T since the extra 4 cores are not going to do anything, clockspeed is what counts when it comes to Crysis/Warhead.

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
at 800*600 with aa at 2x,gives average 20 fps
at 1024*768 with aa 2x,gives average 18 fps
at 1024*768 with NO aa,gives average 25 fps dropping to 18 sometimes in heavy combat scenes.
Also at 1024*768 with aa 2x,the game doesn't allow me to set all settings to high.i remain with texture,object,shadow,shader and post processing at custom and rest at high.
So what is holding back??have i made really a wrong and unbalanced system by putting phenom x6 1090t on am2+ board.
Yes i am using DDR2(not a typo) on am2+ board.
or should i consider purchasing windows 7,and i will get good fps like the benchmarks of 4870 on toms hardware.
also the driver version(as shown in device manager)8.753.0.0
please help.

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

thats a home made pc.
psu-cooler master ucp 900w
motherboard-biostar ta 785ge 128m(am2+)

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

average 20 fps with 1024*768 with no aa.

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

actually i am getting around 20 fps with 1024*768.at least can i expect the average 30 fps??and yes it is 800 Mhz transcend ddr2.

to be honest the hardware that you are using (GPU + CPU) is not meant for such low resolutions as you will be able to play a decent game it will not be nowhere near as nice when playing at 1680x 1050 or 1920x 1080. You want both the GPU and CPU to be able to flex their muscles as opposed to the CPU only, its kinda hard to explain but I hope you get the idea.

If you are running XP with 2Gb you should be fine, on the other hand Vista or 7 benefits from more ram, going from 2Gb's to 4Gb's on Win 7 did indeed speed up my system "overall". Im not 100% sure if you will see any gains when going from 2Gb to 4Gb on XP when it comes to Crysis as the only difference that I saw was an improvement in loading times. Check your CPU and RAM usage also, this will give you a better idea of whats needed and whats not.

notty22

Distinguished
I would try disabling cool n quiet in bios.
Running XP ? I'm wondering if turbo is working ? And maybe the cpu is not ramping up to full clock speed. The gpu is definitely going to be waiting on the cpu/memory at those low resolutions. This article showed that Crysis basically relies on 1 core
http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/gaming_the_core_debate,4.html
Do you have the latest chipset drivers ? DDR2 would cost you some frames , but there is more wrong going on here.

Solution

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

ok.got it what you saying.
you mean the load shifts on cpu at low resolutions.
then i will upgrade to new display.
and how about my am2+ motherboard?is it bottlenecking too??coz i am not in condition to upgrade mobo to 890.may be i will upgrade in a month or two.

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

i think the turbo is working.the clock speed seems to jump a bit(without game)in biostar overclock utility.

no, your board is fine..My secondary PC is using an AM2/AM2+/AM3 Asrock 780a and it never ceases to amaze me with a skimpy GTS250 + 4Gb G.Skill 800Mhz, an 890 w/ DDR3 will indeed give you a nice boost but not worth the cash when it comes to what you are paying vs. what you are getting. If you are looking for a nice balance i would get win 7 with a nice screen and 2 more gigs of ram and you should be good to go. The board and ram can wait for now, no need to upgrade that right at this moment unless you want to start pushing that CPU to its limits which I doubt.

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

and yes,i disabled cool n quiet in bios,the fps jumped from 25 to 45.however it still drops to 25 sometimes in heavy combat scenes.
can you tell me how did this happened.am i likely to get more fps in windows 7?also why i cannot save all sttings to high as some them repeatedly comes to custom under advanced settings.

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
I also turned on the AA to 2x and no fps drops.But in combat scenes it goes to 25 fps.also i cannot turn on all settings to high.it automatically goes to custom.anyhow,will overclocking cpu to 3.6GHz help to make it always 30+fps??or adding more RAM will help??

welshmousepk

Distinguished
both will help a little.

the reason you can add some AA without a drop is that the GPU is bottlenecked at that res. Did you use a custom config at any time? that's usually what sets stuff to custom. removing the autoexec.cfg from the crysis install folder will usually remove that and allow you to set to whatever settings you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS