Safe CPU and GPU temp?

rakibfahadgts

Reputable
Aug 4, 2018
What should be my CPU and GPU max temperature while gaming? The max recorded temps are (msi afterburner) 74 degree for gpu and 74 degree on CPU.

Cpu: i7 7700 non k (with a hyper 212)
GPU: MSI Gaming x GTX 1060 base clock
Ambient: Around 35 degree Celsius

Solution
Check that the fans are "snugly" screwed in/attached (not too tight, but definitely not too loose). Obviously make sure the fan blades are not brushing up against a cable or something. Otherwise, it may just sound different due to the new acoustic/airflow pattern.

If it gets bad you can always replace with a quieter fan (Noctua is my favorite brand), or you may be able to adjust the speed with a hardware or software fan controller (may even be able to control fans thru your BIOS depending on your motherboard)

rakibfahadgts

Reputable
Aug 4, 2018

2 intakes (both on front) and 2 exhausts, one at back and one in side panel. My casing doesn't have ceiling space for fans. All are 120 mm. As of fan speed, i'm assuming that's default as I haven't changed anything (msi z270m motherboard).

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
ok go in bios and check if the cpu fan is set on auto a pwm then see if your case fans are dc 3 pins pans been set on dc auto also see what is the speed of your gpu fan on load you might use hwinfo for this anf gpu-z rendering to put it on load .

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
If your ambient temp is truly 35C, your temps are perfectly fine. VERY generally speaking, safe CPU temp is up to around 85C, GPU is roughly 90C. Any higher than 85C on the CPU and you run the risk of throttling or shutdowns. If it truly tops out at 74, you can run that all day no problem (other than putting out some heat).

However, for the GPU even if 90C is "safe", the 10xx series cards are particular about temperature. They will start to throttle (by just a little) starting at around 65 or 70C.

Without seeing your case, you might try turning that side panel fan into an intake, that will blow directly onto the GPU. That might shave a couple degrees off that GPU.

rakibfahadgts

Reputable
Aug 4, 2018

Okay the CPU fan 1 is set at PWM (though the hyper 212 has 2 fans) and running at 620-640 rpm at around 40 degree idle temp. The system fans are however showing 0 RPM.

rakibfahadgts

Reputable
Aug 4, 2018

I'll try converting side panel one to intake. 2 questions here;
1. Will positive air pressure cause any harm as I can't change my front intakes coz of the casing?
2. Are MSI gaming x GPU fans intake or exhaust?

TIA

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
1 - positive pressure is actually a good thing. It can help prevent dust buildup. Generally speaking, most pc builders aim for a positive pressure situation.

1.5 - (you probably can get to the front fans, you'd just have to undo some screws in the case somewhere...however, in almost any situation front fans are intake anyway, so you can leave those as is)

2 - GPU fans are almost exclusively intaking air from the case and blowing it towards the actual GPU die. However, this should not factor into your build at all.

rakibfahadgts

Reputable
Aug 4, 2018

Thanks Matt. It worked. GPU seems to be maintaining a max temp of 70 degree instead of 74 while playing Assassin's Creed Origins at 60 fps cap (ultra). But the fan's making a humming noise (not annoying though). Is it because of air hitting side panel mesh as it's an intake now? or did I messed something up?

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
Check that the fans are "snugly" screwed in/attached (not too tight, but definitely not too loose). Obviously make sure the fan blades are not brushing up against a cable or something. Otherwise, it may just sound different due to the new acoustic/airflow pattern.

If it gets bad you can always replace with a quieter fan (Noctua is my favorite brand), or you may be able to adjust the speed with a hardware or software fan controller (may even be able to control fans thru your BIOS depending on your motherboard)

Solution