Safe cpu temperature for core i7 2670qm

dbtp2002

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Hello I was wondering what would be the safe temperature for Intel Core I7 2670qm to run at..

I got a lenovo ideapad y570 instead of pc upgrade(due to parents not allowing me to)

anyway, when I play nba 2k12, I played around 2 hour, and one of the core temperature went all the way up to 88 degree C.(using realtemp because gpu monitoring feature+ no fps drops, there was few stutter but not really bothering me)(..if you want setting, all high and on, except crowd detail(I think), and AA off)

Then I saw the log file(I set it to record it every 1 sec), one of the core was 88(highest), one of the core was 86(highest temp) but it only stayed at 88 and 86 for one second, then back to 70's then one more jump to 80's for 6 seconds, and back to 70's
(gpu's maximum was 75)

is this okay temperature for cpu? I think it's a little high..

ps. when the temperature of cpu was at 80, the load% was between 40~68%(maybe this is gpu load?)

ps2. I am using Notepal U2 for the cooling pad.

ps3. I disabled the turbo boost by setting cpu power to 99% for min and max

Solution
Laptop CPU's are made to run warmer than desktop CPU's because they HAVE to, and the max temp (Tjunction) for that CPU is 100C (that's where it'll throttle).

When it gets to 90C and above for long periods, that's when you should really worry.

Deeks

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
This is really hot, i am pretty sure thermal throttling kicks in at about 90c. All though there probably is not much you can do. you could try to take apart the case and blow out the dust in there if you have had it for awhile. I am betting it has to do with the design of the laptop it self and is probably not meant to game there for is not designed to remove that kind of heat. Your only other options would be to lower your ambient temp which will lower temps in your laptop a bit, or buy a laptop or desktop for gaming.

G

Giving tempratures without telling us what cpu cooler you have or what pc case you have , intake, outtake fans it dosen't help us at all to detect the problem.

Also your room temprature will help us understund how above the ambient your cpu in running in idle is good to know beacuse these tempratures are really high.

G

yes you are right it look's like a laptop tempratures but in the end he gave us nothing.

not enough data, i can't compute.

dbtp2002

Honorable
May 16, 2012
I thought 70's was okay.. it mostly runs on 70's but it goes up to 80's for one or few seconds.

anyway the room temperature is 86-90 fahrenheit.

idle temp is 38~55C(including web surfing, watching video)
for not doing anything, 38~45 C.

laptop is 2month old btw.

Laptop CPU's are made to run warmer than desktop CPU's because they HAVE to, and the max temp (Tjunction) for that CPU is 100C (that's where it'll throttle).

When it gets to 90C and above for long periods, that's when you should really worry.

Solution

dbtp2002

Honorable
May 16, 2012

true.. but I might try different cooling pad(other than the on I have) to see if it does something..
it might be differ by laptops....i think..

@Giatrakis I'll consider that..

Deeks

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
70's are ok 80's are getting warm 90's you should be worried. like i said previously that model of laptop was not designed for gaming. as long as your not at 90's for long durations of time you should be fine!