Safe GPU temperatures for mining

krishpatel0416

Commendable
Dec 6, 2017
Recently I have started mining my gtx 1060 6gb and rx 580 8gb. I have the temperature limited to 65c. Both cards are overclocked and I plant to be mining these cards for at least a year or two. I have unlinked the power and temp limit and maxed out the power limit. Could unlinking these damage by GPUs and what’s a safe temp for long term mining? How long will my fans last at 70% speed 24/7

Solution
I wouldn't run my cards at those temps. Why have you maxed the power limit? You can overclock them while still REDUCING the power limit.
You'll make more money that way anyway, and it will lower the temps. Less power = less heat
well what are the temp of your GPU?
and whats the efficiency you have?

i am mining on Asus Strix 1060@6GB and MSI TITANIUM 1070ti @8GB
both cards are running 24x7 in my CM690 III with very good airflow all system fans are running at 70@ speed including the GPU too
both my cards have temp of less then 60'C
they keep floating around 54-58'C

AnonymousAndy

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014
I wouldn't run my cards at those temps. Why have you maxed the power limit? You can overclock them while still REDUCING the power limit.
You'll make more money that way anyway, and it will lower the temps. Less power = less heat

Solution
Feb 27, 2018
65c for mining isn't too bad.

Generally you want to stay under 70c...

Here's a nice read, and graph about GPU mining and safe temperatures, https://cryptovoid.net/safe-mining-temp/.

"Temp Zones
0C – 29C Is the thing even on?
30C – 49C Idling. No major tasks are running. You’re probably checking your email, or scrolling around on Twitter.
50C – 59C GPU is idling in a warm room, or working around 50%. You tell me?
60C – 69C There’s action happening, and it’s getting a little warm. This is where you want your temps to be.
70C – 75C Okay things are getting pretty toasty. High graphics gaming or optimized mining. We definitely should not get any hotter.
75C – 79C This is the danger zone. Some graphics cards will be semi-ok with this… But, it’s not worth risking it.
80C – 89C Like playing with fire. At this range, your GPU might seem like it’s doing fine, or you might smell burning plastic. Either way, you are deducing it’s life-span quickly.
90C – 99C There’s definitely some damage happening. You might want to get the fire extinguisher.
100C – 109C If you’re lucky you can use your GPU after it get this hot, but treat it nice like an abused puppy.
110C+ Congratulations, your GPU is now a paperweight. However, let it cool off before you hang it on your wall."

AnonymousAndy

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014

He said they run at 80C when he unlinks the temp limit, which is how he's running them. So not sure why you down voted my comment when what you yourself linked even states 80C is "playing with fire".
But nonetheless, the article you linked is mostly nonsense.

Feb 27, 2018

I don't see what's wrong with this article... Also, unsure why you're hatin' on me. Glad there's a solution here anyway.