Safe Mode and Compatibility Properties

slayersen

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
I don't use safe mode much but I am trying to install a program that will only install if you use compatibility properties for win 95/98/Me

So if I do it normal Win 7 it doesn't start the setup.exe and just hangs I look it up and nothing as setup.exe in task manager for ever....

If I do it in safe mode it starts imminently and begins then tells me that it will only install in win 95/98 and I go into Properties and compatabillity but it's all gray... If I click on "com mode for [windows 98]" then I go back into there it shows it as grayed out again I take it this feature breaks in safe mode, so how can I install this program? I have done it before it is NFS HS on Win 7 64bit.

Need For Speed: High Stakes

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
To recap, and this is what I think Bobby is trying to get at:

If you start Windows 'normally', not in 'Safe Mode', and then you right-click on the setup file, when you select the 'Compatibility' tab, can you choose Win 98, 95 or XP there?

You will have to tick the 'Run this program...' check-box though.

slayersen

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
but the proccess hangs in normal windows before it even shows up I could wait an hour and it will show up then i hit english 20minuts later it is still frozen at 0% for initialization not even installing then on safe mode it goes all at light speed but after initialization it says must be installed in win 95/98 and shuts down

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Do you have an anti-virus program running?

It may be that program that is having difficulty in processing the file and causing the installer to stay in a 'wait state'.

slayersen

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
[/quotemsg]Why don't you try to install it as an 32-bit XP program?

If XP was backwards compatible then, you never know until you try, do you?[/quotemsg]

Well every forum says to install as admin/ win98 compatibility problem is as seen In video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owmzOMJ-unY&feature=yout...

Edit: I did try xp before it does nothing let me try on everything I can think of just for trying

Also Win98 comp always used to work for me no hitches no complaints nothing

Still nothing

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Okay, let's try this.

First, turn off UAC, User Account Control.

Go to Control Panel > Action Centre and select 'Change User Account Settings.

Pull the slider all the way down and press Okay.

You will have to restart the machine.

When it has restarted, go to Start and types 'services.msc' (without the quotes) then press Enter.

Scroll to the bottom of the list of services, click on Windows Firewall and then click on 'Stop' on the top-right there.

Do the same with 'Windows Defender' and 'Security Centre'.

Disable your virus-guard and any other system-monitoring software that might be running as well.

Now, try to run 'setup' again in Win 98 compatibility mode.

If that fails, go back to the list of Services, 'Stop' the 'Program Compatibility Assistant' and then try again.

Any luck?

To put the services back as they were, simply go back to the 'Change User Accounts Settings' screen, raise the slider two notches and restart.

slayersen

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012

Unfortunately, Still no luck [win 7 standard] without safe-mode

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Well buddy, I think that we are at that stage.

I reckon that the copy of Windows that used to work with this game was an early, pre-Service Pack 1 version.

The systems that this Win 98 app was designed for were quite different from the multi-threaded, multi-core systems we see today and the software is unable to successfully communicate with modern drivers.

And that is where compatibility mode comes in.

Newer O/S's are more in tune with modern hardware; as systems have evolved, Windows has had to develop sophisticated methods of system resources management. 64-bit buses and superfast controllers cause Windows an administrative nightmare.

In order to maintain backwards compatibility, Microsoft included 'sub-programs' or 'shims' as they are known, which act as 'interpreters' between the Win 98 app and Windows 7.

But this does cause issues; some Win 98 installations differed from other because of the quirks of the hardware. How is the shim to know whether it should interpret a program as if the Win 98 system had 'Shadow ROM' enable in BIOS?

If the shim guesses wrong, the offset for the graphics table is wrong and so the displayed data is wrong. This was always something of a consideration and shims have always been somewhat 'hit and miss'.

But now, as driver technology moves on, manufacturers are not interested in maintaining nineties technology so they just allowed the old 'dialects' of the old drivers to slowly fade away.

So, you may just have to resign yourself to either a future without that particular game, or you will need to obtain an early release of Windows 7.

I know. It makes me sick too. :vomi: