"Safe Mode" Help

XrayMan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
I set the computer to start in "Safe Mode" so I could use Driver Cleaner Pro to clean out my old Nvidia drivers there. So I restart the computer and when it gets to the part where you are supposed to click on my user name, it freezes up. Now I can't even go into windows desktop, because of this freeze. Can someone help me figure this out. I have Windows XP pro 32 bit, Evga 680i mobo., E6600 cpu, and the Evga 8800gtx.

XrayMan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
How can I if I can't get into windows desktop? Remember the screen freezes at the User Name screen , and won't go past that point. Also the windows screen saver goes on, but I can't get it to stop by doing the usual hitting of keyboard keys or mouse clicking.

XrayMan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
1) It won't do a restore point. 2) I uninstalled the graphics drivers, then wanted to go into safemode to do a driver cleaner. I can't even get out of safemode anymore. I did the "Run, MSconfig, Checked Safeboot" and restarted, originally. This started all my problems.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
why did u go that way?

all you have to do is restart normally and keep hitting F8 till an option screen comes up allowing you to choose safe mode and a whole range of other stuff including boot with last best known configuration.

also can you not get into normal windows now aswell? seeing as you configured it to start in safe mode all the time :?