[SOLVED] Safe mode loop. Can't install fresh copy of windows. Just freezes on a black background and blue logo.

Sep 24, 2019
Just got in a free Compaq Presario Sr1830nx. It was working great. Then I tried to upgrade it to windows 7. I needed the latest service pack 1. Couldn't download it due to some error. I figured out how to upgrade to service pack 1. Then it restarts and go through a loop cycle of load and restart.

I've tried several copies of windows. It had Vista but now loads in a loop, even in safe mode(and all the methods I could try). Tried windows 7 and 10, I've tried through dvd and through USB bootable and I have the same problem. I tried to install Linux I get an error involving ldlinux.c32.

I've tried to reset the bios. By that I mean I held the power button to off the power for 15 seconds. Unplgged it. Pressed power button 15 seconds. Then pulled out the a32 battery (or whatever. The little coin looking one). Left it unplugged for 8 hours, but that didn't reset the motherboard to its factory condition. Maybe theres something I'm missing with the bios. I upgraded the bios to get the service pack to download.

Kind of at a loss now. Not sure what to do. No matter what I boot to in windows it just loads like this and stays here forever. I've tried to wait it out. 8 hours+ and it still there.

Last edited:
Solution
it came with XP according to link...if you can't get 7 on it, 10 was even less likely

have you tried a different hdd to see if its the drive you are trying to install too that is problem?

resetting the CMOS (the little battery) doesn't change the bios version, just wipes settings so that you have to login to it after and set the defaults.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it came with XP according to link...if you can't get 7 on it, 10 was even less likely

have you tried a different hdd to see if its the drive you are trying to install too that is problem?

resetting the CMOS (the little battery) doesn't change the bios version, just wipes settings so that you have to login to it after and set the defaults.

Solution