Question Safe mode runs fine, random BSOD in normal mode

Mar 29, 2020
Hi guys, I am really hoping you can help me.

For several days I am having frustrating random BSOD crashes on my win 10 laptop. They are (for now) critical process died, which does not help much to identify the culprit.

For some reason my system is not making minidumps.

I tried first to eliminate the hardware as an issue. Crystal disk info says my liteon ssd is in a good state. Mem86 also says that RAM is fine. I made 4 scans to be sure

As this is laptop I am using for a work I would be grateful if someone can help me with the issue.

And no, sadly I do not have system restore active.

This is my speccy
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gtz1XpT3H3uJztSnICmMeZJ

Maybe this will help. In most instances first BSOD happens after cold boot, and it usually takes a while for it to happen. I. E Around two hours. The second one happens few minutes after restart

The situation is always the same. First freeze, then BSOD, and then I need to restart it.

Maybe this will help. In most instances first BSOD happens after cold boot, and it usually takes a while for it to happen. I. E Around two hours. The second one happens few minutes after restart

The situation is always the same. First freeze, then BSOD, and then I need to restart it.

Last edited:
I'm not particularly experienced with this problem, but I have a general question I hope you don't mind if I ask. Hopefully it could help rule out potential problems, without being a complete waste of your time

From your description, one thing that comes to mind is that the culprit could be driver related, or maybe caused by a background process or a program running in system tray.

The reason why I ask, is that when you can get rid of all problems when running in safe mode, I think it is possibly related to some piece of software or driver, which is not loaded in safe mode, but launches automatically on normal boot.

I didn't get the impression you have added software or hardware requiring new drivers recently, but I'll try and ask anyway - can you think of any possible recent updates or additions to software which you did not use previously? Maybe not something immediately obvious, or seemingly irrelevant.

Did you experience any other semingly minor sytem errors recently?

It is just a thought, someone more knowledgeable will surely drop by any minute

Mar 29, 2020
Thank you for the fast reply.

I had the similar idea. The issue started few days ago.
I myself did not install anything new. The only new thing is windows update. But that was installed after the issue started.

If anything I hoped it will stop. I am also puzzled that there are no mini dumps. I had several BSOD in the past, but then they left mini dump file, and I solved the issue

Also, is there a way to see what driver could be a culprit (if it is the driver)