Safe OC for Pentium G3258?

Solution
H5 Cryorig Cooler with Z97 Pro Gamer.
358v0jk.jpg
It varies, due to the "silicon lottery." I have two G3258 chips myself. One of them is not stable at 4.2GHz, even on 1.3V. The other one does 4.2GHz on 1.2V; I've not tried to go higher. Some people have reached 4.4GHz or even 4.6GHz with theirs (though the latter is unlikely on the stock cooler).

G

Using AsRock EZ OC option, since I'm a newb, I clocked it to 4.0 and got around 80 degrees Celsius, a max of 85, with Prime95. Is this safe?

In actual use, you won't hit those temps. That is the edge of what I'd consider safe, although I would not expect 4.0GHz to get that hot unless the board applied a lot of extra voltage. You might see if you can lower the voltage from whatever ASRock selected and see if it remains stable.

There should be some voltage settings in the BIOS, I believe on the "OC Tweaker" tab. I can't see media sharing sites at work, but if you can post some screen shots, another person should be able to view them and offer suggestions. You can get screen shots of BIOS pages by plugging in a thumb drive and using the F12 key.

gerr

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
Generally most consider a 4.0Ghz as the starting OC for a G3258, so that's the "safe" OC. Most can get to 4.2Ghz or higher, but have not heard of any that can't make it to 4.0Ghz.