Question Safe oc for ryzen 5 2600

Stock cooler is not going to let you have more than 1.4v for shorter periods or 1.35 - 1.38v for longer periods. So whatever you get at or under those voltages is going to be your limit.
Just go for 1.35v and eventually let LLC make minor adjustments while you raise multiplier a bit at a time until you reach limits on temperature <75c or get instability.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Just for reference:
I currently have my Ryzen 5 2600 OC'd to 3.9 Ghz @ 1.275 V with my 3200 MHz RAM OC'd to 3400 MHz on an Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming MB.
I was able to get a stable 4 GHz with 1.33 V and got as high as 4.075 GHz at 1.36 V.

While 4 GHz and 4.075 GHz did add a few points/fps in benchmarks,
I decided to stay at 3.9 GHz because I leave my PC on 24/7 for streaming.
I do use the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan too though so my CPU does downclock to 1.55 GHz when idle or under light loads.

I also do NOT use the stock cooler.
I have an Arctic 33 Esports Edition which keeps my CPU pretty cool, idles @ 28-30C and maxes out around 55C after a few hours of gaming/heavy load.

While ZEN CPUs tend to run coolish and the AMD Wraith Stealth cooler is fine for most Ryzen 3 quad cores overclocked to 4ghz, it will be pushing it thermally to overclock a Ryzen 5 hex-core to 4ghz on the stock cooler!
You could try to get 4.0ghz at or under 1.4ghz and bump the clocks and voltage down if temps are too high. Keep temps under 80-85c for 24-7 use.
Even at 100% fan speed AMD coolers tend to be a lower pitch compared to Intel stock coolers, so AMD coolers are generally perceivably quiet at 100% speed. If running overclocked you could try to keep it cool by maxing out fan speed.
Freezer 33s are good coolers but you could also buy an AM4 Gamaxx 400 which is known to be good on overclocked Ryzen processors.

Reactions: DMAN999
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpjA3TdF6GE

This compares the Stock Cooler, Gamaxx 400, Hyper 212, and others on a HEAVILY overclocked Ryzen 3 1200 at 4.1ghz. He said the best overall cooler was the Gamaxx 400 and especially if you were on a Ryzen 5. It wasn't the most expensive, was very quiet for its level of performance, and it cooled the best. Even though he compared the coolers on a Ryzen 3, the best cooler from that list would still be the best in the comparison on a Ryzen 5.

Reactions: DMAN999