[SOLVED] Safe OC settings for 5900x

Apr 12, 2021
I am new to overclocking. I pretty much just hit the OC button on the gigabyte software and let it do its thing, but every time I reboot the system resets itself to default. I am just wondering is there any safe overclock settings I can put in my bios that will run it at an overclock? I do not know much about this... I read that I can undervolt the cores but then I heard people say thats not the best way. Does anyone know any settings for a Gigabyte x570 Master I could put in? I have a 280MM Push pull AIO if that helps.

Solution
I am new to overclocking. I pretty much just hit the OC button on the gigabyte software and let it do its thing, but every time I reboot the system resets itself to default. I am just wondering is there any safe overclock settings I can put in my bios that will run it at an overclock? I do not know much about this... I read that I can undervolt the cores but then I heard people say thats not the best way. Does anyone know any settings for a Gigabyte x570 Master I could put in? I have a 280MM Push pull AIO if that helps.
"I pretty much just hit the OC button on the gigabyte software and let it do its thing"

That is the absolute wrong way to do it.

OC is a methodical process. Small increments, testing at each iteration...

USAFRet

Titan
"I pretty much just hit the OC button on the gigabyte software and let it do its thing"

OC is a methodical process. Small increments, testing at each iteration.

Solution

victortsoi

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2013

OC is a methodical process. Small increments, testing at each iteration.

I'd like to say im also completely lost as to how to overclock a 5900x.

Conventional overclocking hasn't been much of a benefit to Ryzen, really ever since the 1000 series but especially so since the 3000 series CPU's. So while it might really come under the heading of 'undervolting' here's a video showing some tips on getting most of the new curve optimizer function that's available on 5000 series CPU's. It plays with tweaks to the voltage/frequency boost curve, and the undervolting helps it run cooler. Cooler running means it boosts higher and longer under load. Doing esentially the same as overclocking but leaving the algorithm to keep your CPU safe. It might be worth a look and, this guy really knows his stuff.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfkrp25dpQ0

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Can also lookup Clock Tuner2. From guru3d.com. Was written by Linus, Igor and some serious world-class overclockers.

It's a good way to raise performance across single and multiple core use, tailored to fit your needs, auto initiates when you determine it needs to, but otherwise doesn't interrupt the Ryzen acting as a Ryzen should.

A hard OC, like using set voltages and speeds, without variety is treating the Ryzen like an intel.