[SOLVED] Safe option to replace VRM heatsink on Asrock H470m-itx

Jul 20, 2020
Hello, I am looking to build a PC in a 1U rackmount case. The only board meeting all of my requirements is the Asrock H470m-itx. Unfortunately, with the massive chunk of aluminum that is the stock VRM heat sink, I cannot fit it into my 1U chassis. The heat sink gets quite warm (not hot) under load with an I3-10100, so it does seem a necessary component even with a lower-end processor. I am looking for safe alternatives that will provide sufficient cooling even when using an I7 (not overclocked) that will allow me to fit it into the 1U chassis. Any advice is appreciated, and any suggestions as to where else I might post this question to get an answer.

Here are some pictures of the heatsink and the VRMs:

View: https://imgur.com/a/Wg7DkQb

Solution
If you're looking at dropping in an i7 on that board, then you will most definitely need a better cooler than that Silverstone you've got there as well as have a very high rpm fan pushing air across the entirety of the motherboard.

Apart from using a sliding caliper and custom fabricating a heatsink out of aluminium or copper with an active cooling solution like a 40mm fan atop of it, or even designing a waterblock for the board's VRM(and the CPU, read monoblock), you have no option to remove that heatsink.

Lutfij

Titan
If you're looking at dropping in an i7 on that board, then you will most definitely need a better cooler than that Silverstone you've got there as well as have a very high rpm fan pushing air across the entirety of the motherboard.

Apart from using a sliding caliper and custom fabricating a heatsink out of aluminium or copper with an active cooling solution like a 40mm fan atop of it, or even designing a waterblock for the board's VRM(and the CPU, read monoblock), you have no option to remove that heatsink.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS