Safe or not safe? Hd 7850

lolz1314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hey guys! I have a small question to ask.

Just last christmas i got a standerd desktop computer a HP Pavillion p6-2103a
And i got a new psu and a Sapphire HD 7850 oc edition so i could play games with a higher setting.

Should i wait and build a computer or would it be safe to put the psu and gpu in the pavillion? I got it checked out with the guys at a computer store and they said that it can short circuit or something. He said something about hp having their own plug for the motherboard?

I was a bit suspicous as i dont see why it should work as i did it before. I did have a few driver problems while installing application profiles but should i wait for my new setup or shouldnt it just work with my new psu and pavillion p6-2103a?

Thanks guys.

cheatoman

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
The biggest issue might be size. Premade desktop computers are usually on the smaller side and the 7850 is a pretty big card.

It should be fine (as long as you're careful) if you plug the card into your current computer, but building your own is also a great experience! Considering you already have the PSU and GPU, there isn't much else you need. Messing with the hp might be a little annoying (especially if you are planning on swapping out the PSU, since those computers aren't really built for modding).

If you have the money/patience, then I would recommend building a computer. It's a lot of fun, plus you already have some pretty good components to center a build around. If you want to use the 7850 RIGHT NOW and aren't afraid to meddle with your computer, then try swapping out the current card (if it has one. If it's just running on integrated graphics, it should be a simple plug and go).

lolz1314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Thanks chetoman! The only thing i was afraid of was somehow bottlenecking or damaging my motherboard in my hp. In that case i will install my 7850 and psu for now.

lolz1314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Hi cheatoman

I have installed the 7850 and the PSU but when i boot it up i just get a blinking black screen and then if i leave it for a while the blinking stops and the computer thinking light isnt flashing. I know it worked before so why isnt it working now? Last time i fixed this problem i had to reset windows and i deffinitly do not want to do that! So could it possibley be a driver i might have forgotten to uninstall?