[SOLVED] safe overclock for ryzen 7 1700 with stock cooler?

markellospapadakis

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018
Hello!
so recently I overclock the ryzen 7 1700 to 3.6 Ghz and voltage control 1.175
im getting very high temperature around 74 while playing for example assassin creed odyssey and it freezes when im doing cinebench.
am I doing something wrong ?
note, that the overclock is done through the program of master ryzen and not from bios.
thank you for any answer regarding my problem!

Solution
Hello!
im getting very high temperature around 74 while playing for example assassin creed odyssey and it freezes when im doing cinebench.
note, that the overclock is done through the program of master ryzen and not from bios.
Your chip cannot handle it at that voltage. I'd advise you to turn up the voltage a bit but your temp is so high already its not a good advise to give.

I'd suggest to leave it at base clock and if you really need that small performance boost you could just buy an aftermarket cooler and try again.

If your temps stay high at stock clocks check your...
Hello!
Your chip cannot handle it at that voltage. I'd advise you to turn up the voltage a bit but your temp is so high already its not a good advise to give.

I'd suggest to leave it at base clock and if you really need that small performance boost you could just buy an aftermarket cooler and try again.

If your temps stay high at stock clocks check your thermal paste application and make sure your cooler is seated in correctly and tightened properly when reinstalling it

Reactions: markellospapadakis
Solution

markellospapadakis

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018

If your temps stay high at stock clocks check your thermal paste application and make sure your cooler is seated in correctly and tightened properly when reinstalling it

I have 38c in idle with stock settings, is it good ?

Hello!

It's probably 'freezing' in CineBench because the voltage is way too low. 1.175V isn't near enough to assure stability; you might need to give a 1700 something upwards of 1.35V even at that clock speed when running AVX workloads like Cinebench. 1700's were the lowest binned 8 core 1st gen and tended to need higher volts than 1700X and 1800X did.

Also keep in mind the specified max temp (Tj_max)for Ryzen chips is 95C, so 74C isn't really getting very hot at all. But then you've only clocked it to very low 3.6Ghz and also have it at that very low voltage. I'd definitely make sure the cooler is installed properly (all 4 screws evenly tightened?) and consider upgrading to a big cooler before overclocking much more than than; but consider raising voltage up to 1.30V or so at least.

BTW...I have a 1700 under a Wraith Prism cooler (from a 3700X that replaced it) that's currently OC'd to 3.85Ghz at 1.3875V that only gets to around 85C max in constant AVX workloads (Folding@Home). Prior to getting the 3700X I had the 1700 running at 3.95Ghz, 1.42V under a 240mm AIO and it would peak at 90C (occasionally) encoding H.264 videos. Prime95 wasn't an option for that overclock, but it's not really a necessary stability test in my opinion.

Also, what motherboard are you using? There are a lot of, mostly B350, motherboards that have woefully inadequate VRM's for overclocking 8 core CPU's.

And lastly: get a free utility called HWInfo64 to look at voltage and temperatures. RM is good for looking at temp's since it reads out an average core temp but it doesn't report out CPU internal core voltages. In HWInfo look for the (SVI2 TFN) voltage readout, that's the one that indicates what the CPU cores are actually seeing. It will show how much the voltage is sagging as the processor comes under load since it will lower with VDroop.

Last edited: