Safe package temperature for Skylake?

madgreenb

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
I've been overclocking my i5 6500 using BCLk on my z270 board, however this leaves the issue that I can now only monitor package temps using HWiNFO. I can't seem to find a good consensus about what package temps are safe for this chip, only finding results about core temps, and I'm unsure if it differs much. I'm currently maxing out at 68c at 4.1Ghz 1.32v and I don't know how safe it would be to try and push a bit further. Thanks!

Solution
There is no confusion. Max package temp is the same as max core temp. Package temp is the same, almost universally, as the highest single core temp on any accurate monitoring utility. Max recommended core or package temp for Intel 6th gen processors is 80°C and it should NEVER be that high except under a full 100% steady state load.

It's probably fine up to 85°C, without any damage, perhaps as high as 90°C and throttle temp is higher than that, but you don't WANT it above 80°C in any scenario. All this information is in the Intel temperature guide and I would suggest that you read it.

Nothing you read anyplace else is going to be as factual and definitive as what you read there...
There is no confusion. Max package temp is the same as max core temp. Package temp is the same, almost universally, as the highest single core temp on any accurate monitoring utility. Max recommended core or package temp for Intel 6th gen processors is 80°C and it should NEVER be that high except under a full 100% steady state load.

It's probably fine up to 85°C, without any damage, perhaps as high as 90°C and throttle temp is higher than that, but you don't WANT it above 80°C in any scenario. All this information is in the Intel temperature guide and I would suggest that you read it.

Nothing you read anyplace else is going to be as factual and definitive as what you read there.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Solution

madgreenb

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

Thank you very much!! This is exactly the answer I needed.