Question "Safe" to buy a 14900K...?

PatrickPowers

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
I'm sorry if this is a worn out question / topic.

However, a few months ago, I put together a new intel PC build and was about to pull the trigger when all of this trouble with intel CPUs started to really surface. So, I held off buying.

Now I've seen that the patch is out that supposedly prevents the issue that was causing so much trouble. I've also read that, if the CPU has not been degraded yet, then this patch should do the trick.

And yet, I'm not well versed in these things (I build my PCs for cost reasons and to get the specific strengths I need for my animation work, not because I'm a PC building enthusiast). So, if anyone here who knows the situation better than me might be able to speak into the issue, that would be great!

Basically, is a new 14900k with the BIOS patch a bad idea right now or not.

Thanks very much!

Chris

Hey there,

TBH, I wouldn't buy one, even if it was with your money! ;)

In truth though, yes the problem should be solved if buying a new CPU, and using the correct settings/bios. But, would you want to take a chance that it doesn't?

Intel took a long time to get this out, and get above it, but failed miserably.

I would be going with a 7800x3d if the system is purely for gaming, and maybe a 7900/7950x/x3d part if you need more multi grunt. You could also wait for the Zen 5 X3D parts are much better than Zen 4 CPUs.

What is the purpose of the build? What is the budget?

PatrickPowers

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
Hi Roland, thanks for the insights.

The purpose for the build is creating 4k animations in After Effects and Premiere. Those are the only two power programs that I use (maybe a little 3d sculpting here or there; I don't do any gaming, for what that's worth). I put it together on PCPP while back, and you can see my initial build here: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/full_of_eyes/saved/Mq9BrH

I've already purchased the RAM, cooler, and PS listed here. I suppose all of those could work with an AMD system, but I'd rather stick with intel since their CPU's are manifestly better in After Effects and Premiere (from all the benches I've seen, anyway).

I get that intel is shaky right now. But, if I don't buy a 14900K, it seems my only intel options are to go with a 12900K (I have an 8700K right now), or wait for this new series which--being a huge overhaul--will probably come with all sorts of questions and instabilities of its own. It's sort of a difficult time to want an intel PC, I guess!

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Randi Poling

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014

The purpose for the build is creating 4k animations in After Effects and Premiere. Those are the only two power programs that I use (maybe a little 3d sculpting here or there; I don't do any gaming, for what that's worth). I put it together on PCPP while back, and you can see my initial build here: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/full_of_eyes/saved/Mq9BrH

I've already purchased the RAM, cooler, and PS listed here. I suppose all of those could work with an AMD system, but I'd rather stick with intel since their CPU's are manifestly better in After Effects and Premiere (from all the benches I've seen, anyway).

I get that intel is shaky right now. But, if I don't buy a 14900K, it seems my only intel options are to go with a 12900K (I have an 8700K right now), or wait for this new series which--being a huge overhaul--will probably come with all sorts of questions and instabilities of its own. It's sort of a difficult time to want an intel PC, I guess!
If thats what you are doing, Maybe look into a Threadripper CPU. Might get more bang for your buck with one of those over a Ryzen CPUI.

Okay, good to know. And yes, now I can understand the 14900k. In that case and given your usage, I'd agree the 14900k gives you a slathering of cores and top multi performance too. That you won't be gaming also negates the big PSU, but I'd still prefer an 850w in there. What PSU did you go for?

I'm sorry if this is a worn out question / topic.

However, a few months ago, I put together a new intel PC build and was about to pull the trigger when all of this trouble with intel CPUs started to really surface. So, I held off buying.

Now I've seen that the patch is out that supposedly prevents the issue that was causing so much trouble. I've also read that, if the CPU has not been degraded yet, then this patch should do the trick.

And yet, I'm not well versed in these things (I build my PCs for cost reasons and to get the specific strengths I need for my animation work, not because I'm a PC building enthusiast). So, if anyone here who knows the situation better than me might be able to speak into the issue, that would be great!

Basically, is a new 14900k with the BIOS patch a bad idea right now or not.

Thanks very much!

Chris
The 14900K has never been a bad idea. The problems were all caused by users who messed with the Intel recommended settings in their attempts to operate the chip above and beyond Intel's recommended levels, aided and abetted by motherboard manufacturers who know they can sell more motherboards if they facilitate operating the cpus beyond Intel's recommended levels. If you leave the chip alone and follow Intel's recommended settings you should not have any problems and if it was me and my money I would go ahead with the planned purchase because I'm personally responsible enough to follow Intel's recommendations.

PatrickPowers

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
Okay, good to know. And yes, now I can understand the 14900k. In that case and given your usage, I'd agree the 14900k gives you a slathering of cores and top multi performance too. That you won't be gaming also negates the big PSU, but I'd still prefer an 850w in there. What PSU did you go for?
Oh, I see my PSU wasn't in that list - I got a DeepCool PX1000G, which I guess is a bit overkill hearing your suggestion of an 850.

PatrickPowers

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
The 14900K has never been a bad idea. The problems were all caused by users who messed with the Intel recommended settings in their attempts to operate the chip above and beyond Intel's recommended levels, aided and abetted by motherboard manufacturers who know they can sell more motherboards if they facilitate operating the cpus beyond Intel's recommended levels. If you leave the chip alone and follow Intel's recommended settings you should not have any problems and if it was me and my money I would go ahead with the planned purchase because I'm personally responsible enough to follow Intel's recommendations.
Well, I certainly won't be fiddling with it at all. Coming from an 8700K, I'm guessing the most 'boring' factory settings will be lightning fast as far as I'm concerned.

logainofhades

Titan

This is blatantly false. The blame is solely Intel's.

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...s-are-the-root-cause-fix-coming-by-mid-august

I am a 14900K user and have had no issues.
The key, I think is to get your motherboard bios current.
It seems that motherboard makers were upping the default voltages for better performance; way above Intel limitations.
There were, indeed some faults in the processor itself that will get addressed with updates.
The new extended warranties should be of some comfort.

Gururu

Upstanding
Jan 4, 2024
You will find that a lot of users here are running 13/14 gen with no issues, survived even without the corrected BIOS. No new issues have been reported AFAIK since the new microcode has been adopted.