safe to buy used 4K monitor?

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
is it safe to buy used 4K monitor, described as like new? do pixels go bad over time, or would bad pixels show up when u first get it?

Solution
The safety is dependent on the seller. Some people will sell junk and not have 2nd thoughts. Have an agreement with the seller that you will return the item if it does not meet certain specifications. If the seller won't agree, then I doubt they are reputable.

Some brand new monitors have bad pixels, some develop bad pixels over time, and some run for years without a problem. It has to with quality and sometimes a bit of luck.
The safety is dependent on the seller. Some people will sell junk and not have 2nd thoughts. Have an agreement with the seller that you will return the item if it does not meet certain specifications. If the seller won't agree, then I doubt they are reputable.

Some brand new monitors have bad pixels, some develop bad pixels over time, and some run for years without a problem. It has to with quality and sometimes a bit of luck.

Solution

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011

Amazon is selling this 1, Like New:
LG Electronics 27MU58P-B 27" diagonal Ultra HD 4K Monitor

When I look that up, Amazon is selling it new for $318 and Compeve is selling it "Like New" for $309. Ummm, you want to roll the dice for $9 savings? I would go with a new one from Amazon rather than a "Like New" (See pictures) for $9 less.

BTW ... no DVI input ... maybe you don't care.

**edit** Sorry ... this was for the 27MU58 ... not the 27MU58P ... I don't see a used P on Amazon. Didn't look to see what the difference was.

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011

it's no longer on there because i bought it. ;) saved $100 on amazon. would have been $50 more on newegg, the cheapest new 1. took my chances.

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011

they both have PIP, but the 58P has Tilt, Swivel, Pivot, Height, not all so for the 58 for some reason.