Safe to put mITX in a rubber sports bag when travelling?

Antisthenes

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Will the components inside a Cooler Master 110 be damaged by static if I put it in a sports bag made of relatively thick waterproof rubber, during travelling on airplanes, trains or a bus? And if it is safe, will it generate damaging static if the bag is slided 10-50 cm, into an airplane overhead locker for example?

Should also mention that I had to cut a small hole in the roof of the CM 110 to make room for one of the two water cooling cables of the H81i, so will static travel through this cable into the components, the CPU for instance?

You should not be worrying about static, but physical damage.
If you have the original box for the case (with the foam packing around it) that is the best way to transport a PC.
Graphics cards should be removed as well, to help prevent damage. Same goes for air coolers, however AIOs generally handle travel better. Since yours is mounted externally, that may be an issue.

Antisthenes

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Thanks for reply! Appreciate it.

Are you absolutely certain that static will not be a problem? Have read that the metal case will protect the components inside, but does that also apply when the rubber sports bag touches the plastic of the water cooling cable leading more or less directly to the cpu?

USAFRet

Titan
If ESD were as much of an issue that people (here and elsewhere) seem to think, we would not have an electronics industry.

Scientific proof? The evidence of hundreds of thousands of parts shipped all over the world, every day. With or without antistatic bags.

LOL so much missinformation here, i fried a ram stick and a videocard because of static, electronic components are very sensible to electric charges and must handled with a lot of care.
Ruber is a insulator so no it cannot build up static charge but how it was sugested be careful with physical damage.

Honestly every component i bought it came in antistatic bag and that is fro a serious reason, evend 2nd hand motherboards and hdd are delivered in anti static bags so i dont know from where you got to the conclusion that is not an issue especially when friction of materials is involved in traveling in backpack.

EDIT: IN principle that is how static charge acumulates by friction between different materials.

By putting it in the polystyrene box that it came in, polystyrene does hold a charge, very well indeed.

USAFRet

Titan

Buy new, yes, they come in an antistatic bag.
Used parts, or just moving house across country...is everything in a antiseptic antistatic bag, handled with cotton gloves in a clean room?
Ha.

Lol dont go that far but everytime i handle electronic components i make sure i discharge anything i acumulated by touching a grounded metal or like the water pipes from the radiator (house heating not aio pipes :D) because how i said is present and real danger. When i m moving them in another part of teh country yes i put them in their anti static bags for safety.

In OP case there is already an antistatic bag, the ruber backpack, ruber is a very good insulator.

Antisthenes

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Don't know what the waterproof "rubber"-like material is made of. It looks similar to typical waterproof duffel bags, but they are often made of nylon, pvc, polyester. If so, how damaging is it when 5 mm of the water cooling cable sticks out of the case roof, getting touched by the bag?

Antisthenes

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
I'm using the mITX as an alternative to a laptop when travelling, staying at rented apartments 2-4 weeks in between train or plane travel. And it's a $3000 mITX, so need to reduce the risks as much as possible.

USAFRet

Titan

From your description, static is a non issue.
"will it generate damaging static if the bag is slided 10-50 cm"
Would you be worried about static if sliding it 10-50cm across your desk? No, you wouldn't.

I'd be more worried about the liquid cooling situation, being moved all the time.

Antisthenes

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
I will take out the water cooler and replace it with an air cooler when using airplanes, obviously. But not worried too much about external physical damage, because I will guard it like a baby. The mobo is on the floor of the case, so both the cooler and the rest is pretty stable.

Don't worry about sliding the case across a table, but not sure how much static will build up when the case is tightly surrounded by "rubber" material like nylon, vinyl and polyester.