[SOLVED] Safe to switch Intel Optane from X4 to X2

Nov 3, 2020
Hey all.
I have an inte Optane 16gb unit I’ve been using for a while. In the X4 bandwidth. In the manual it states it works in either X2 or X4. I’d like to know if it is safe to switch the bandwidth down to X2.

What possible effects would that have?

Thanks all,
Alex

Solution
Hey all.
I have an inte Optane 16gb unit I’ve been using for a while. In the X4 bandwidth. In the manual it states it works in either X2 or X4. I’d like to know if it is safe to switch the bandwidth down to X2.

Thanks all,
Alex
It's totally safe, all that will happen is the sequential reads will be cut by around a 1/5th.
I don't think the random performance (which optane is known for, and is the reason it's good) will be effected, at least not in a big way.
Hey all.

Thanks all,
Alex
It's totally safe, all that will happen is the sequential reads will be cut by around a 1/5th.
I don't think the random performance (which optane is known for, and is the reason it's good) will be effected, at least not in a big way.

Solution
Nov 3, 2020
Hey @siaan312 Thanks for the quick reply. I've had some major issues with intel optane before, which caused me to have to reformat my C drive (ouch). So just to be doubly sure, there should be no other adverse effects other than a slowdown? To be clear It has been linked and operating under X4 so far.

TRENDING THREADS