[SOLVED] Safe to use 5800X on cheap B450?

tonumeister

Reputable
Feb 5, 2018
Hey! Bought Asus Strix Gaming-F in 2019 used that with overlocked 2600 + not much airflow in case, then upgraded for 5600x. Now I have 5800X with more airflow in case, but seen some forum post and videos about this board having bad vrm and bad temps. With infradot gun it shows 60 Celsius under load atleast from top surface. Not really safe I think but under load if you try touch vrm its very hot and like almost burn finger.

Should I just go for better board, before anything blows up or is this safe way?

Solution
Hey! Bought Asus Strix Gaming-F in 2019 used that with overlocked 2600 + not much airflow in case, then upgraded for 5600x. Now I have 5800X with more airflow in case, but seen some forum post and videos about this board having bad vrm and bad temps. With infradot gun it shows 60 Celsius under load atleast from top surface. Not really safe I think but under load if you try touch vrm its very hot and like almost burn finger.

Should I just go for better board, before anything blows up or is this safe way?
60C isn't so bad but where exactly are you measuring the VRM temp? On top surface of what? If a FET or board surface close to them then that's not really worrisome. Try measuring the temps of the capacitors between the CPU VRM...

60C isn't so bad but where exactly are you measuring the VRM temp? On top surface of what? If a FET or board surface close to them then that's not really worrisome. Try measuring the temps of the capacitors between the CPU VRM and the CPU; being a Strix board I'd hope Asus use ones with a 10K hr. life at 105C rating; lesser ones are typically 5K hr@105C. The FET's themselves have ratings of 125C.

And what were you doing when measuring that temp; I'm not sure it's a problem at all if running Prime95 with a fixed all-core overclock of a 5800X (which is not recommended at all with that CPU...and especially that VRM).

Even with more case fans and better airflow it's easy for the VRM to get trapped in a dead air space where it's located. If you have a tower cooler you might put a fan on the output side of the tower cooler blowing directly into the rear case fan. A fan there really churns the air in that space even at a low speed, helping immensely with cooling both the VRM and CPU.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS