Question Safe to use 6 pin to 8 pin adapter for GPU?

Feb 2, 2023
Hi, i just purchased a 1660 Super and I have an old PSU from around 2015. It only has a 6 pin which was running a 1650 Super prior to this. My question is, is it safe to use a 6 to 8 pin adapter or should i just get a new psu? And what would be the recommended wattage?

Processor: i5-12400
Mobo: Gigabyte B660M DS3H
Ram: 16GB @ 3200mhz (RGB)
2 3.5" HDD's
2 SSD's

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have an old PSU from around 2015.
Make and model of the PSU in question? Also, thumb rule is if you're needing an adapter/you don't have native power connections for your components from the PSU's end...you have the wrong PSU or the wrong component for the job.

The answer is no, sir, don't recycle your PSU!

Feb 2, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have an old PSU from around 2015.
Make and model of the PSU in question? Also, thumb rule is if you're needing an adapter/you don't have native power connections for your components from the PSU's end...you have the wrong PSU or the wrong component for the job.

The answer is no, sir, don't recycle your PSU!
It's a Cooler Master 500W (RS-500-PCAR-N1). You might be right. Thinking of just getting a PSU instead of risking using an adapter.

If the psu was capable of outputting 8 pin power, such a lead would have been provided.
By using an adapter, you risk overloading the psu and should it fail, it can damage your other parts.
Time to replace it.

Buy only a sufficiently strong quality psu replacement.
Your processor is strong enough to run a very mush stronger graphics card. While 650w might do, look at 750 or 850w units also.
Price differences will not be great.
A psu will only use the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.

And, buy only a quality psu with at least a 7 year warranty.
For example, this Seasonic focus 650w unit is $119, the 750w is $129, and the 850w unit is $149.
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-650-gold-ssr-650fm-650w/p/N82E16817151202