[SOLVED] Safe to use a 4x PCI-E to 16 pin on MSI 4090 Trio?

edwin989

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
I ordered the sleeved CableMod 16 pin to 4x PCI-E cable to be directly connected to my Corsair HX1200.

Now the MSI 4090 Trio comes with a 3x PCIE to 16 pin adaptor unlike other AIBs. Is it meant to be limited to 3x PCI-E pins?

Is it safe to connect all 4 PCI-E to my PSU or should I leave one unconnected?

Solution
no idea yet. you're gonna want to wait for some reviews to come in. both on the cards and those adapters. first impressions suggest they are not that good of an idea but you're asking a question no one has explored yet so there really is no answer.

my first thought would be to go with 4 8-pins to be as safe as possible. looks like even the reference design will pull more than 450w which is all 3 8-pins can give. so logic says 4 would be a better way to go. the one you ordered should be as good as it gets for your psu.

but i'd still wait and see what comes out in the next couple weeks as the pros get a chance to fully explore the cards and various options.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no idea yet. you're gonna want to wait for some reviews to come in. both on the cards and those adapters. first impressions suggest they are not that good of an idea but you're asking a question no one has explored yet so there really is no answer.

my first thought would be to go with 4 8-pins to be as safe as possible. looks like even the reference design will pull more than 450w which is all 3 8-pins can give. so logic says 4 would be a better way to go. the one you ordered should be as good as it gets for your psu.

but i'd still wait and see what comes out in the next couple weeks as the pros get a chance to fully explore the cards and various options.

Last edited:
Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Might have been better to buy it from Corsair. But 4 8-pins, even at 18 gauge is enough. If they are 16 gauge, then the only real risk is at the connectors and crimping vs soldering. Having more capacity going to the card isn't going to hurt anything, just spreads the load more.

I don't much like the adapters after watching Jayz video showing how much force is applied when you have to bend them to fit inside of cases. So I think the direct PSU to 12-pin is a much better option for now.

Reactions: edwin989