[SOLVED] Safe to use ATX PSU extension on abnormal PSU

Jul 27, 2019
I have a XW6600 and moved the components to a new case. In this new case the 24pin cord can't reach the motherboard's 24pin port and I can't remount the PSU in this case. I would just buy a 24pin extension, but HP but switched some of the pins on the motherboard which make it different to a normal ATX PSU. Would using a normal ATX extension on this abnormal layout be safe?

Here's a diagram of the pins View: https://imgur.com/a/OQMMPyb

Solution
If the PSU you are using has the same pinout as the motherboard, and so long as the extension is pin to pin with no deviation from the original pinout, it should be fine. It would need to be KEYED the same though, if there is a keyed shape to any of the pins on the motherboard end of the PSU connector AND must match any keyed shapes to the sockets on the motherboard in the ATX socket.

Looks to me like they might be keyed differently so if that's true, then it won't work, and you'd need one intended for use with that specific board or power supply.
If the PSU you are using has the same pinout as the motherboard, and so long as the extension is pin to pin with no deviation from the original pinout, it should be fine. It would need to be KEYED the same though, if there is a keyed shape to any of the pins on the motherboard end of the PSU connector AND must match any keyed shapes to the sockets on the motherboard in the ATX socket.

Looks to me like they might be keyed differently so if that's true, then it won't work, and you'd need one intended for use with that specific board or power supply.

Reactions: bruhmomentum
Solution
Jul 27, 2019

I guess all I can do is try right. It's only like $8 for one. Thanks so much!