Safe to use magnetic tape in computer?

CxRizzle

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Currently rebuilding my desktop and I now have both a fan power hub and a Corsair hub to control all the RGB LED's on my fans. I have a thin sheet of magnetic tape that I wanted to use to stick to the hubs, then stick in my case somewhere in the back and out of the way. Would it be safe to use this? Or would the magnetic properties cause a problem?

Solution
Should be fine. Magnetic tape won't have a very strong magnetic field, and it's not varying, so I can't imagine it causing any issues. If you want to be extra safe, try not to put it too close to and other components or power cables.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Should be fine. Magnetic tape won't have a very strong magnetic field, and it's not varying, so I can't imagine it causing any issues. If you want to be extra safe, try not to put it too close to and other components or power cables.

Solution
Maybe if you stuck them right on a hard drive. Macs have worked fine with powerful rare earth magnets used to hold display glass in place. Before they started using adhesive. I know they also used them to keep laptop lids closed when they got rid of latches. I don't know if they stopped doing this. Other laptop makers probably use these magnets too.

CxRizzle

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Thanks for the replies so far! I was planning on putting them directly behind the motherboard on the opposite side of the motherboard tray, if that makes a difference.