[SOLVED] Safe to use Molex to 8-pin for 3080?

pmjm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Hi all,

I just got a rtx 3080 (evga ftw3) and I'm trying to install it. It requires three 8-pin power. Unfortunately my psu is kinda old (850w apevia non-modular) and only has one 8-pin and one 6-pin (no +2) for pcie. Is it safe to use the 8-pin and adapters to convert two of the molex connectors to pcie/8-pin?

Last edited:
Solution
This is closer to filling the tank with 1/2 diesel fuel and 1/2 gasoline and asking if it will still hit 150 mph :)

Given the PSU, this is more like filling the tank with maple syrup and diarrhea.

OP, if the PSU truly is glued to the case -- which would be amazingly unusual, there are almost certainly screws you haven't yet found -- then you have two solutions that are good.

1. Get a new case as well as a new, much better quality power supply.
  2. Sell your 3080 on eBay.
The third option, connecting an $800 GPU that you were highly fortunate to obtain and everyone wants to literal garbage, is a very poor idea. When I say very poor, I don't mean on the relative level of "I'm full, but I really want to eat another hot...

pmjm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Any other solution other than a new psu? This psu is literally glued into the case since it didn't have the right mounts and I don't think it can be removed at this point.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
would you buy a ferrari and trust it to a 10 year old 4-cylinder engine that leaks and is installed with a ton of adapters and jerry rigging?

that's pretty much what you are asking about here. you're wanting to trust your $1000 gpu to an old power plant that you want to rig together with adapters, hopes and dreams.

does that make sense to you?

simple answer is no. long answer is nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

DSzymborski

Titan
This is closer to filling the tank with 1/2 diesel fuel and 1/2 gasoline and asking if it will still hit 150 mph :)

Given the PSU, this is more like filling the tank with maple syrup and diarrhea.

OP, if the PSU truly is glued to the case -- which would be amazingly unusual, there are almost certainly screws you haven't yet found -- then you have two solutions that are good.

1. Get a new case as well as a new, much better quality power supply.
  2. Sell your 3080 on eBay.
The third option, connecting an $800 GPU that you were highly fortunate to obtain and everyone wants to literal garbage, is a very poor idea. When I say very poor, I don't mean on the relative level of "I'm full, but I really want to eat another hot dog," but "I'm going to throw a Molotov cocktail through my kitchen window to test the smoke detector" level.

Last edited:
Solution