Safe to ziptie fan to heatsink?

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
Well, I have an NHD-15 with the two fans it comes with. However, I was buying a cable adapter to lengthen my CPU cable, which means I will have room for a third fan. I bought another Noctua NF-A15 for my heatsink, but I've read that they normally don't come with the clips, just being fans and all. So instead of buying some, would it be ok to use some zip ties to fasten the fan to the heatsink? I mean I don't see why not... The heatsink won't melt the zip ties but will it hurt the airflow?

Also, would it be a good idea to just take my rear exhaust fan off my case when I get the third fan?

Solution
I've been attaching fans to coolers with zipties for years and never had any issues. They are much easier than clips anyway. If you connect them tight but not enough to bend any sink fins it is extremely stable and does not rattle.

If the rear exhaust is in the way you can remove it, otherwise it should not be an issue.

RealBeast

Titan
I've been attaching fans to coolers with zipties for years and never had any issues. They are much easier than clips anyway. If you connect them tight but not enough to bend any sink fins it is extremely stable and does not rattle.

If the rear exhaust is in the way you can remove it, otherwise it should not be an issue.

Solution

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014

Alright thanks for the information. I have two 200mm exhaust fans on the top of my case but my heatsink is pretty far from the top so I'm thinking if I install the last Noctua fan and find or make some type of vent, it will help with cooling. For example, I've seen a lot of people with vents for the last fan on their heatsink to go out the rear of their case. I would like to do the same thing with my 140mm NF-A15 to make sure the airflow goes out, since the Noctua fans have a very focused airflow. The focus airflow is wasted if half of it its going out the exhaust and the other half is hitting the back of the case and being pushed all over the place. Are there any places I can find such vents?

RealBeast

Titan
As long as your case has sufficient fans for air intake the warm air from the CPU and other components will be adequately vented. I've messed around with airflow and measured interior temperatures a lot over the years and it doesn't seem to make much difference that the airflow from the CPU is not directed out. If that is a concern for real high overclocks, etc. the best solution is a water cooler with an external radiator.