[SOLVED] safe update bios Asus P5K motherboard?

tzitzikas

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
Hi all. I just ordered an Asus P5K motherboard to replace my old Asrock mobo. The seller told me that it contains the lowest bios. My cpu is Core 2 Quad Q6600 SLACR 2.4GHz, so i must update the bios with the last one here:
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P5K/HelpDesk_BIOS/ Version 1201 .
I am not familiar with the bios update process so I am afraid id i do mistake. I read here https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1012815 about ASUS EZ Flash 3 Utility. Is it the best method if my mobo contains this Utility or not? I must copy the .ROM bios update file to the usb stick drive fat32 into the ZIP file (I downloded the bios update file in zip file) or I must unzip it and copy the .ROM update file to the usb stick drive? Where can I find a tutorial about update my asus P5K motherboard ? Thank you in advance!

Solution
Where can I find a tutorial about update my asus P5K motherboard ?

P5K User's Manual Download Page - See Chapter 4

If the motherboard is coming with the earliest BIOS installed, you will need a natively supported CPU installed in order to update the BIOS. In other words, you will need a processor that is supported by the earliest BIOS version, 0302. Unfortunately, your processor SLACR has the G0 stepping and requires BIOS version 0603. I can't guarantee that you will be able to update your BIOS with your current processor.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Where can I find a tutorial about update my asus P5K motherboard ?

P5K User's Manual Download Page - See Chapter 4

If the motherboard is coming with the earliest BIOS installed, you will need a natively supported CPU installed in order to update the BIOS. In other words, you will need a processor that is supported by the earliest BIOS version, 0302. Unfortunately, your processor SLACR has the G0 stepping and requires BIOS version 0603. I can't guarantee that you will be able to update your BIOS with your current processor.

-Wolf sends

Solution

tzitzikas

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
Hi. Thank you all. In the next days I will take the motherbpards. I have also an core 2 duo E6400 processor witch is supported by 0302. So I must install first core 2 duo E6400 processor

Wolfshadw

Titan
Hi. Thank you all. In the next days I will take the motherbpards. I have also an core 2 duo E6400 processor witch is supported by 0302. So I must install first core 2 duo E6400 processor

Correct. Install the E6400 first so you may update the BIOS. Once complete, then install the Q6600. You do not need to install all of the BIOS updates individually. You can just install the latest and be done.

-Wolf sends