[SOLVED] Safe way to connect 20 cooler fans 120mm

jkrm

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
Hello guys. I have a mining rig and I want to use 20 cooler fans. The cooler is the Scythe SU1225FD12H-RP 12v 0.46A 2000RPM.

I'm currently using 3 1000w PSU with 12 3060TI. 4 GPU each PSU.

I'm thinking in using 10x coolers on 2 Molex connectors (1 cable for 5 fans each) and 10x coolers on SATA cable (1 cable for 5 fans each)

Is this a safe way to do it? (Obviously I don't have enough fans connectors in the Mobo)

Deepcool FH-10 hub will be enough to handle 10 of this fans? (I'm a little worried because it's sata power)

Last edited:
Solution
Not ideal no. Typical molex wiring is designed to handle 54W, or 18W per connector. 5 fans would be 27.6W, or 55.2 total for all ten. So it would be pushing it, adapters would make it worse by adding additional resistance and failure points.

There are 4-fan to molex adapters on the market, no idea how reliable they are.

If you have any PCIe 6-pin left over, you should look into that. Or look into some heavier duty fan hubs.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not ideal no. Typical molex wiring is designed to handle 54W, or 18W per connector. 5 fans would be 27.6W, or 55.2 total for all ten. So it would be pushing it, adapters would make it worse by adding additional resistance and failure points.

If you have any PCIe 6-pin left over, you should look into that. Or look into some heavier duty fan hubs.

Solution

artk2219

Distinguished
May want to stretch it over three or four connectors if you can since each one outputs 54 watts with three 12v pins at 1.5 amps for 4.5 amps, "The ATX standard for SATA or Molex connections is rated for 54 watts. Each SATA/Molex connector provides three 12v pins at 1.5 amps each, for a total of 4.5 amps. 12 volts, times 4.5 amps, equals 54 watts able to be provided by a SATA/Molex connector". Technically with a decent quality power supply you should be good, but I would hedge my bets, definitely make sure you get a good quality hub or splitter cables, your setup is only as good, or in this case safe, as your lowest quality component.

Last edited:

jkrm

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019

May want to stretch it over three or four connectors if you can since each one outputs 54 watts, "The ATX standard for SATA or Molex connections is rated for 54 watts. Each SATA/Molex connector provides three 12v pins at 1.5 amps each, for a total of 4.5 amps. 12 volts, times 4.5 amps, equals 54 watts able to be provided by a SATA/Molex connector". Technically with a decent quality power supply you should be good, but I would hedge my bets, definitely make sure you get a good quality hub or splitter cables, your setup is only as good, or in this case safe, as your lowest quality component.

So, the ideal configuration is using 1 sata/molex cable for 5 fans each, right? At total of 4 cables.

jkrm

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
That means at least two adapters per cable, adding a lot of expense. That or get some lower power fans. They don't have to move the world, just allow for airflow.
Here where I live is very hot, like 32c everyday.. So I need to get a lot of airflow to help cooling the 3060's. Also, helping with the lifespan of the cards.

Reactions: artk2219